Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Backsweeten with sugar?

Old 09-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
vemeron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Backsweeten with sugar?

Hi guys new cider maker here,

I just did my first batch of cider and it turned out great. My only problem was it was a little sour for my tastes as i am use to angry orchard and other sweet ciders. so i talked to my brew shop and got some potassium sorbate and my question is now can i backsweeten with table sugar? I know some people have said apple juice concentrate but i am just wondering if sugar is an option. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6033 Times on 4302 Posts
Likes Given: 1555

Quote:
Originally Posted by vemeron View Post
Hi guys new cider maker here,

I just did my first batch of cider and it turned out great. My only problem was it was a little sour for my tastes as i am use to angry orchard and other sweet ciders. so i talked to my brew shop and got some potassium sorbate and my question is now can i backsweeten with table sugar? I know some people have said apple juice concentrate but i am just wondering if sugar is an option. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sure, you can sweeten it with anything you want. Honey, sugar, molasses, brown sugar, etc. I'd dissolve any addition in a little hot water (or heat up a sample of the cider and dissolve it in that) and then add that to the whole batch.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 09-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
Virigoth
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vemeron
Hi guys new cider maker here, I just did my first batch of cider and it turned out great. My only problem was it was a little sour for my tastes as i am use to angry orchard and other sweet ciders. so i talked to my brew shop and got some potassium sorbate and my question is now can i backsweeten with table sugar? I know some people have said apple juice concentrate but i am just wondering if sugar is an option. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Remember you can always add more but you can't take it out once it is in. I'd make a small test subset and record measurements until I find the mix and them scale it up from there.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
Wayneh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I sweeten my hard ciders with equal. Yeast won't eat equal. I use one packet for two 12oz bottles. I think it's perfect. I have done gallons and gallons of hard cider with plenty of crappy ones so I know what works. Peace

Old 10-28-2013, 03:26 AM   #5
mdavis0719
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneh
I sweeten my hard ciders with equal. Yeast won't eat equal. I use one packet for two 12oz bottles. I think it's perfect. I have done gallons and gallons of hard cider with plenty of crappy ones so I know what works. Peace
Maybe the yeast know something you don't.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:33 AM   #6
Qhrumphf
Spirit of '69
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2335 Times on 1663 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Because no one has asked it- are you kegging the cider? Or serving it still?

If you're kegging, then you can use potassium sorbate/campden tablets and backsweeten with whatever you want. Same thing if you want to bottle it but don't want carbonation.

If you are bottling and want it carbonated, the potassium sorbate is a bad plan. You will not be able to carbonate it. If you want it bottled and carbonated without having to carbonate in a keg first, you'll either have to backsweeten with something unfermentable (I use Splenda) or carefully monitor the carbonation, and then pasteurize all the bottles once you reach the right level of carbonation. There's a thread on it here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy...g-pics-193295/. If you really want to use sugar that'll be your only option, otherwise you'll end up at best with bone dry highly carbonated cider, at worst exploding bottles.

Casked: Scottish 80/-
Bottle Cellar: Brett B Tripel, Brett C English Barleywine, Lamebic, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C Bitter, Wild Cider, Bourbon Barrel Sour Stout, Wee Heavy