Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First Cider! Shaky start, but all looking good

Old 09-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Appleosity
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 17

Default First Cider! Shaky start, but all looking good

Ok, started out a bit half-assed, but all is looking good now.....

Originally used two 1/2 gallon jugs (mistake, I know) with identical mixtures. I used local orchard juice , sugar and Montrachet Red Star (1/2 packet for each). After a week in primary (when my hydrometer came in the mail) I checked em at 1.01, racked em into a single 1 gallon, where I'm hoping to let it sit for a while. Although slowing down significantly, the yeast still seems to be eating sugar, but of course at a very slow pace.

It was pretty cool to sample it for the very first time, not knowing what to expect. Could taste the alcohol for sure, and a little fizzy and slightly sweet. pretty freakin' good

I like it a bit sweet so my plan is to let it sit in secondary for another week or two (?) and then put it in a large plastic soda bottle in the fridge, where me and the bottle will take turns burping...

I now have proper 1-gallon jugs and a hydrometer for when I start my next batch

Old 09-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #2
ilxfauno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome man, next time toss a cinnamon stick in!

Appleosity Likes This 
Old 09-28-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
Wayneh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Fun, Fun, Fun. If you like it a little sweeter then don't leave it fermenting longer. The yeast are just eating the sugar. You'll be brewing a lot more though. Peace
Old 09-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1842 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 4539

You might try an ale yeast like Nottingham instead of wine yeast; I think you'll like the end results a lot more. Tends to taste sweeter, wine yeast will take it dry every time.
Regards, GF.
Appleosity Likes This