Do you prefer brewing existing recipes or building your own? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do you prefer brewing existing recipes or building your own?
Cool Brewing Corny 5G & Mini Giveaway

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer to brew?
Exclusively my own recipes. 34 22.67%
A mix of my own recipes and other's recipes. 96 64.00%
Exclusively recipes from others (mix of clones and non-clones). 19 12.67%
Exclusively other's recipes (no clones). 1 0.67%
Exclusively clone recipes. 0 0%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm curious what the division out there is amongst brewers between whether you like to brew existing recipes or crafting your own. Granted this is a fairly non-scientific poll and doesn't account for bias of brewing experience, but oh well

For reference:
  • "Your recipes" refers to recipes you put tgether yourself. This can include modifying or combining recipes from various sources, but they should be primarily your own concept.*
  • "Other's recipes" refers to recipes posted by forum members, home brew club members, magazine writers, etc. Can include clones unless otherwise specified.
  • "Clones" refers to recipes made to imitate commercial brews.

*This means subbing out a grain or two, the hops, or the yeast used doesn't count as making your own recipe.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
blackflagbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I usually go with a recipe that I've crafted myself. However, I will read a ton of other recipes and read up on that beer style so I'm going in somewhat informed.

mutedog Likes This 
Old 09-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
NTXBrauer
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 9

50/50 here. I normally start with an existing recipe, but have to change something along the way to match my preferred taste. I don't only do this with brewing beer, but also cooking in general.

People Like This 
Old 09-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
ill4delph
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am still very new to brewing, so i've been sticking to clones or other peoples recipes while i get my routines down. I'm sure i will create my own recipe one day...but for now i'm just learning.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
brewkinger
AdirondacKinger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 326 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 322

As a relatively new brewer, I tended to rely upon recipes originally.

First with Extract/Steeping Kits that I purchased (5 batches).

Then I made the move to AG based heavily on the HUGE amount of information that I found on HBT. It made sense to me to use the "tried and true" recipes that I found on HBT as well. (Props to BierMuncher, Yooper and many others)

Ironically, of the 4 different AG beers that I have made [Centennial Blonde(x4); Bass Clone(x2); Irish Red(x2) and Yoopers House Ale(x2)]
I have only once actually made it through the brewday with no mistakes that "altered" the recipe.
Wrong hop additions
0.75# of choc malt (in a beer that called for 0.75 OUNCES) I named this my not so pale ale [NSPA]

So while I relied on a recipe, I often altered the recipe accidentally.
I am at a point now where I am beginning to distinguish the different characteristics that individual ingredients add to a beer (loving Honey Malt for exampe)
So I am now venturing into the realm of BlackBird House Pale Ale, which I hope to add to the recipe forum eventually as my own.

PRIMARY:
PRIMARY:
BOTTLED: Razapple Wine- Vintage 2014
BOTTLED: BlackBird Haus Ale
BOTTLED: Cascade Ale
KEGGED:
PLANNING: Orange Haze Blonde
PLANNING: Double Sunshine Clone
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
mutedog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackflagbrew View Post
I usually go with a recipe that I've crafted myself. However, I will read a ton of other recipes and read up on that beer style so I'm going in somewhat informed.
This is pretty much what I do as well.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing

Recipes 

Liked 975 Times on 841 Posts
Likes Given: 2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXBrauer View Post
50/50 here. I normally start with an existing recipe, but have to change something along the way to match my preferred taste. I don't only do this with brewing beer, but also cooking in general.
+100

I love to tinker with what I have on hand or being inspired by a recipe that looks really good. I always change something, or a few things.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 7309 Times on 5169 Posts
Likes Given: 2072

I mostly make my own recipes, but will sometimes look at other recipes to get an idea of hops/malt combos when I feel like I"m in a rut of the same old thing.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
PRE66_6TART
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I started just kind of winging it with my own recipes right off the bat. Lo and behold, some of them weren't that great. I had this idea that styles were just points on a spectrum, and whatever I threw together would still be good even if it didn't land on one of those points. Turns out there's a reason all those different styles exist. Anyway I haven't given up on experimenting but I'm starting to do it with smaller batches and using other people's recipes on the bigger batches. That way I have lots of good beer, but still get to do the mad scientist thing.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts
Likes Given: 6068

I very occasionally use someone else's recipe, but 95% of the time it's my own recipes. If I'm brewing a new style I'll base my recipe on someone else's and there's those times I find myself drinking a beer that I just have to clone. If I'm cloning a beer, though, I usually try it myself before using someone else's recipe. The other thing with clones is that if I can't get it here and can't find anyone to trade for it, I'll just use someone else's recipe from the get go.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter