Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Tailgating ideas?

Old 09-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1459 Times on 923 Posts
Likes Given: 144

SWMBO often makes this for tailgates and it's always a hit.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/21687-texas-caviar

Old 09-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3651 Times on 2484 Posts
Likes Given: 2468

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerBear View Post
Do you have a recipe for the chicken chili,or did she use a package recipe. I like chicken chili and have been meaning to look for a recipe,I will probably use chicken I've put on the smoker in it.
A friend made it once and I liked it. I've since tried to make it, but it's mostly just a simple off the top of my head thing:

Chicken Chili seasoning packets
Northern beans
Grilled and chopped chicken
Chicken broth
Finely sliced carrots
small amount of bacon

I plan on making it tonight and bringing a backpacking stove to reheat at the parking lot, but I can see a problem already. We have to make it tonight and not eat it all before tomorrow!

I better have a plan for filling us up tonight.

There are so many good ideas here. I think my wife would like that texas caviar thing. I like the sausages and cheese steak idea too. Wife is a big fan of cheesesteaks!

They're gonna send you back to mother in a cardboard box !

Old 09-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Walking tacos.

Mini bag of Fritos or doritos, slightly crushed,
Add a lump of Taco seasoned ground meat,
Shredded lettuce, sour cream, and salsa. Eat it right out of the bag with a plastic fork.

Do a while Mexican thing with nachos & cheese, jalapenos, too.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
BarefootFriar
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Okay, I'm an Alabama fan, and we're the kings of tailgating.

The beer is a no-brainer, so I'll leave that alone.

There's a zillion ways you can go about this. You've got the southern barbecue option where you smoke pork butts (pork shoulder roast) ahead of time, then serve with sauce, slaw, buns, pickles, and chips -- Golden Flake if you can find them, Lays if you can't. Oh, and don't forget the Dr. Pepper for the non-drinkers in the crowd.

There's the burger/dog thing, but you've done that once and it can get old if you do it often.

There's the "byom" thing where everyone brings their own choice of meat and the grill master cooks it. That only really works in a group of fairly close friends, though.

I own Steve Raichlen's "BBQ USA" book. It's the size of an Atlanta phone book and contains hundreds of recipes, from sides to desserts, pork, beef, chicken, lamb/mutton, fish, and of course sauces and rubs. Tons of really great ideas in there, and I'm sure you can find most or all of them online. I bet if you flipped through one in the book store and made a few mental notes you could find some really good ideas.

The one thing I've learned is to stay away from corn dogs. People will think you're an LSU fan.

Have fun!

Old 09-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #15
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3651 Times on 2484 Posts
Likes Given: 2468

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootFriar View Post

There's a zillion ways you can go about this. You've got the southern barbecue option where you smoke pork butts (pork shoulder roast) ahead of time, then serve with sauce, slaw, buns, pickles, and chips -- Golden Flake if you can find them, Lays if you can't. Oh, and don't forget the Dr. Pepper for the non-drinkers in the crowd.

There's the burger/dog thing, but you've done that once and it can get old if you do it often.

There's the "byom" thing where everyone brings their own choice of meat and the grill master cooks it. That only really works in a group of fairly close friends, though.

I own Steve Raichlen's "BBQ USA" book. It's the size of an Atlanta phone book and contains hundreds of recipes, from sides to desserts, pork, beef, chicken, lamb/mutton, fish, and of course sauces and rubs. Tons of really great ideas in there, and I'm sure you can find most or all of them online. I bet if you flipped through one in the book store and made a few mental notes you could find some really good ideas.

The one thing I've learned is to stay away from corn dogs. People will think you're an LSU fan.

Have fun!
Good stuff here. I already had the Pulled Pork as an option, but didn't have time this week to smoke the butt.

But I thought Texans were the kings of tailgating. Huh...
They're gonna send you back to mother in a cardboard box !
BarefootFriar Likes This 
Old 09-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #16
MorrisBrewingCo
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Smoke/Grill Boston Butt to 190F or Chicken to 165F cooked below 250F for pull pork/chicken BBQ if you got time. Ribs are also a long grill out option. EDIT: always let your hour+ meats rest covered in tin foil for 20+ minutes or else you've wasted your time.

Quicker option is Bratwurst or ground beef (add 1 raw egg and seasoning). For something light shish-kabobs (chicken with peppers, onions and optional pineapple).

Appetizer I do chips with queso/salsa/guac/homemade dip.

Sides are Bush's beans, coleslaw, or a casserole made or heated that morning and kept hot in a cooler.

We're doing our thanksgiving meal tailgating in the parking lot for the Falcons v Saints game this year.

RISE UP!
Keg 3: Strong West Coast IPA
Planning for the Spring:
Fermenter 1: Strong Scotch Ale
Fermenter 2: Empty
Fermenter 3: Empty

Old 09-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #17
NickTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 227

I've been going to college FB games and tailgating since 2001 (when I started). Our tailgates have gotten more evolved over the years though.

I know it's a sin, but I have a Weber Q gas grill. Works like a champ and one of those little green bottles of propane lasts for several games.

Some of our favorites are
ABT's (stuffed peppers)
Bacon Wrapped Shrimp (big ones)
Skewered meats
Pulled Pork
Tacos and/or Quesodillas
Burgers, but you can jazz them up
Chili (for fall games)

You can pretty much do anything for tailgating. A friend of him brings his turkey fryer and fries up bunches of stuff. Always a crowd pleaser!

Old 09-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #18
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1894 Times on 1114 Posts
Likes Given: 1134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Good stuff here. I already had the Pulled Pork as an option, but didn't have time this week to smoke the butt.

But I thought Texans were the kings of tailgating. Huh...
This is why we always smoke way more meat than we can consume in a few meals.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #19
coolharry
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootFriar View Post

I think us folks from Wisconsin would challenge that first statement, but we can definitely agree on the second!

A lot of the stuff we do gets prepared the night before and then simply grilled/cooked on game day. beer boil some brats, marinate some wings, slow cook some beef or pork and shred it for sandwiches, chili, taco dips, cowboy caviar, nacho fixings, and of course you can't forget the cheese and sausage plate! (preferably venison, maybe even some bear if your lucky enough to have some). And since we sconnies like to start early, you have to have all the bloody Mary fixins too.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #20
BarefootFriar
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I read somewhere or another (can't remember where) that the SEC schools generally have the best tailgating and best travelling fans, followed closely by the southernmost Big 12 schools and southernmost ACC schools. They rated schools in New England and California at about the bottom of the pile, and Miami (FL) as the very bottom.

That said, I know some Cheese Heads who can out tailgate anybody. They're fun to hang out with. And who knows how scientific the "study" was; it very well could have been pulled out of the author's tuchus. So take my "king of tailgating" comment above with a rather large portion of "tongue in cheek".