Originally Posted by gnomebrew
Pretty basic recipe:
16lbs Texas Clover Honey
.25 teaspoon Fermaid K
.5 Diammonium Phosphate
White Labs Sweet Mead Yeast
I also added additional nutrients for the next 4 days, after degassing:
.25 teaspoon Fermaid K, .5 Diammonium Phosphate
Original Gravity: 1.122
Final Gravity: 1.051
The FG looked high to me, but it seemed stable and it wasn't undrinkably sweet, so I figured I was good.
I'd say it was stuck, either a pH thing or underfed....
Traditionals need to be in the 3.4 to 3.8 area for the sweet spot but can swing around during ferment. If they drop below 3.0, can stick.
At 1.050 or so, if its not cloyingly sweet, that suggests that it could be low....
With feeding, honey is famously low in nutrients especially nitrogen.
Fermaidk gives 110 ppm nitrogen per gramme per litre. Batches of 12 to 14% ABV would need about 200 ppm. So about 1.5 grammes per litre wouldn't have been far short (DAP gives 200 ppm but doesn't have the other non-nitrogen nutrients and enzymes etc, which is usually why people often mix them - DAP is cheaper as well).
Ideally, I'm suspecting you're probably safest getting it back into a fermenter and then either a good dose of FermaidO (as different from the K formulation) or if you can't get that a good dose of yeast hulls or boiled bread yeast, a good stir then let it run some more.....
If the pH is low (test strips for about 2.6 to 4.8 pH sort of range or a cheap pH meter), then some potassium carbonate. .....