Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What do you use to take your gravity samples?

Old 10-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #21
E_Marquez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 126

If you use buckets, get lids with the larger stopper hole for the air lock.. then a cheap thief @8.99
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...oducts_id=1227

Spray the airlock stopper area with starsan, remove, spray thief with starsan, drop in bucket and pull sample.....remove thief. spray lid hole and airlock again,, put in place.. Drop the hydrometer in the thief and take your reading.

The process takes less time then it took me to type this.... and no screwing with removing the bucket lid or risk shaking up the trub / yeast cake in the bucket, exposure to O2, larger contamination exposure ect.

Fermenting 3: Empty (sad)
Bottled/ Kegged:Bottled-JG American IPA, Blue Moon clone, Superior Strong Ale /TAP1 Tits Up IPA, TAP2 Oktoberfest., TAP3 B&H Porter
BigFloyd Likes This 
Old 10-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #22
BigFloyd
Recipes 

Liked 724 Times on 630 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Marquez View Post
If you use buckets, get lids with the larger how for the air lock stopper.. then a cheap thief @8.99
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...oducts_id=1227

Spray the airlock stopper area with starsan, remove, spray thief with starsan, drop in bucket and pull sample.....remove thief. spray lid hole and airlock again,, put in place.. Drop the hydrometer in the thief and take your reading.

The process takes less time then it took me to type this.... and no screwing with removing the bucket lid or risk shaking up the trub / yeast cake in the bucket, exposure to O2, larger contamination exposure ect.
+1.

I've never liked the idea of prying off the bucket lid to get a hydro sample for the very reasons stated. This sounds like a very good workable alternative to installing a spigot on the fermenter bucket (my current solution). I haven't had an issue with a leaking fermenter spigot, but it certainly is possible.

Where did you find a bucket lid that had the larger stopper hole? Mine both have the little holes with a grommet for direct insertion of the airlock.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #23
Malty_Dog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Large turkey baster here. Takes about 2-3 pulls. Also have a plastic wine thief that I absolutely hate. Only pulls a little beer with each attempt and loses a fair amount in transfer. It must just be a real crappy one or I'm just an idiot which is entirely likely

Fermenter: RR Row 2, Hill 56 (pale ale) clone
Bottles: Tripel, India Red Ale, Saison

Old 10-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #24
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malty_Dog
Large turkey baster here. Takes about 2-3 pulls. Also have a plastic wine thief that I absolutely hate. Only pulls a little beer with each attempt and loses a fair amount in transfer. It must just be a real crappy one or I'm just an idiot which is entirely likely
Sounds like you're not using it right. You Gould easily be able to fill your thief, so it should be able to pull its own volume.

Also, if it leaks at the valve on the bottom, give it a shake to reseat the valve. Mine almost always drips after I get done filling it, but a single extra shake with the end OUT of the beer seals the valve.

Obviously if you have something else that works, feel free to use it. I don't work for the thief industry or anything, so I don't really care what you use, I just hate for you to disregard a common tool.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #25
E_Marquez
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd
Where did you find a bucket lid that had the larger stopper hole? Mine both have the little holes with a grommet for direct insertion of the airlock.
First two buckets I bought had a large hole, next 3 I bought did not so I put um on the mil and machined a hole.

A hole saw with some clean up would work as well.. Just clamp the lid to a piece of wood as a backer
Fermenting 3: Empty (sad)
Bottled/ Kegged:Bottled-JG American IPA, Blue Moon clone, Superior Strong Ale /TAP1 Tits Up IPA, TAP2 Oktoberfest., TAP3 B&H Porter

Old 10-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #26
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3017 Times on 2603 Posts
Likes Given: 2135

Here's a lid removal tool I showed in one of my gadget videos; http://www.midwestsupplies.com/pail-opening-tool.html
I use a cheap rubber mallet to install the lid & this to remove it. No more sore fingers!

Old 10-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #27
Loftearmen
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I got a turkey baster from the dollar store. It works perfectly. In my opinion, spending a bunch of money on stuff defeats the purpose of making your own beer.

Boobs, Powerlifting, Beer

In that order.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #28
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

Liked 3017 Times on 2603 Posts
Likes Given: 2135

You also have to balance how much easier &/or quicker a given gadget can make your brew or bottling day against being minimalistic monetarilly. I always get reminded of how going too cheap can be a bad thing sometimes.
Also being older,making things as easy as possible is a good thing.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #29
Brewtah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I just cup my hands together and dip into bucket, then funnel into beaker.
I use a stainless mini pitcher (think expresso) or baster.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #30
DrunkleJon
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2035 Times on 1439 Posts
Likes Given: 1028

a straw. And yes, I have a problem waiting for it to be done.