Bottle filler - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bottle filler

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
johnsonbrew
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
mead, wa
Posts: 168


I just received a new counter pressure bottle filler and discovered that i love it! I was wondering if i can use to force carbonate a growler that has gone flat that i never hot around to drink. I know what a sin that is but don't want to double the sin by purring it out if i can recarbonate it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,738
Liked 8015 Times on 5601 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonbrew View Post
I just received a new counter pressure bottle filler and discovered that i love it! I was wondering if i can use to force carbonate a growler that has gone flat that i never hot around to drink. I know what a sin that is but don't want to double the sin by purring it out if i can recarbonate it.
I don't know how you'd do that. The bottle filler takes carbonated beer and fills a bottle under pressure so it doesn't lose carbonation. It wouldn't carb up a flat beer, unless I'm missing something.

The best way to carb up flat beer is with a "carbonator cap" but never on a glass growler. It would work on a soda bottle, though.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
johnsonbrew
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
mead, wa
Posts: 168

I thought I have read somewhere where people conditioned and carbed up their beers in growlers and that growlers are built to hold pressure. I obviously would use a low pressure, no more than probably 10 to 12 lbs and take it slow. What about carb caps in a growlers?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Zamial
 
Zamial's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
WI
Posts: 3,183
Liked 178 Times on 158 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonbrew View Post
I thought I have read somewhere where people conditioned and carbed up their beers in growlers and that growlers are built to hold pressure. I obviously would use a low pressure, no more than probably 10 to 12 lbs and take it slow. What about carb caps in a growlers?
1. You can NOT naturally carb or force carb in a growler, there is a high risk of it exploding. There is a variable as to what the growler is made of. If the growler is stainless steel it may be able to take the pressure but as a rule glass growlers are NOT good for carbing that way.

2.A bottling wand will not carb up flat beer. It is only to bottle already carbed up beer, usually from a keg. The counter pressure helps the beer stay carbonated during the transfer so you do not end up with flat beer from the transfer and capping.

3. A carbonator cap is not designed to be used on a glass growler for the same reason listed above in "1", they attach to soda bottles (do not use rootbeer). You can buy them from a LHBS or online retailer and there is a DIY if you search for it.
__________________
I'm not drunk, I'm from Wisconsin.
We have been out drinking your state since 1848!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
Piratwolf
 
Piratwolf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Va Beach, VA
Posts: 2,118
Liked 128 Times on 119 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial

1. You SHOULD NOT naturally carb or force carb in a growler, there is a high risk of it exploding. There is a variable as to what the growler is made of. If the growler is stainless steel it may be able to take the pressure but as a rule glass growlers are NOT good for carbing that way.
Fixed that for ya . It is certainly possible to naturally carb in a growler: done it a dozen times without problems. Whether it's advisable is a whole different question.
__________________
Piratwolf: "I've heard that Belgian Blondes can be "panty droppers" but they're not particularly high IBU nor cheap."

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
HopSong
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
HopSong's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 1,945
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts


Most growlers are not built for pressure as regular bottles are. I'd be very concerned if you adapted a carbonator/counter pressure filler of any type to pressurize a growler.
__________________
Cheers, Bill
Hop Song Brewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:57 AM   #7
Piratwolf
 
Piratwolf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Va Beach, VA
Posts: 2,118
Liked 128 Times on 119 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HopSong
Most growlers are not built for pressure as regular bottles are. I'd be very concerned if you adapted a carbonator/counter pressure filler of any type to pressurize a growler.
I don't know if this is true or not, but it seems odd to me that a vessel seemingly purpose-made for storing a carbonated beverage would be "not built for pressure"?
__________________
Piratwolf: "I've heard that Belgian Blondes can be "panty droppers" but they're not particularly high IBU nor cheap."

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:04 AM   #8
MTOutlaw
Recipes 
 
Jul 2013
Spokane, Washington
Posts: 17


Most growlers are meant for already carbonated beverage. When you force carb the pressure is much greater due to the fact that the co2 has to be forced/absorbed into the beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Growler filler works as bottle filler Grifbucs Bottling/Kegging 2 07-02-2013 07:51 PM
Bottle Filler AaronMaine Equipment/Sanitation 7 02-18-2012 02:31 AM
bottle filler sprice37 For Sale 1 01-15-2011 06:17 AM
Bottle Filler gonzoflick Equipment/Sanitation 6 05-30-2006 06:34 PM
Bottle filler Beer Snob Bottling/Kegging 11 05-15-2006 08:07 PM


Forum Jump