Compact Toolbox Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangehero

Reaction score
Here's my toolbox controller. I know a lot of people recommend getting massive enclosures to have lots of space for the components, but I wanted mine as compact as possible. With some careful measuring and planning I think I pulled it off. I still need to get two more PID controllers for it, but they should just drop in place.

ToolboxControllerFinal01.jpg

ToolboxControllerFinal02.jpg

ToolboxControllerFinal03.jpg

ToolboxControllerFinal04.jpg

I like that! I've been tossing the idea about moving up from 120v to 220v, I hadn't considered using a tool box like that. Thanks for the idea.

Your craftsmanship and attention to detail is first rate. That is one awesome control box!

Your control box looks awesome.

After looking at yours I'm thinking of doing something similar. How long is the box? What method did you use to cut the holes? Everything looks really clean.

It's 16" long.

I used a dremel and a drill press with hole saws and step bits. It was a little tricky drilling the holes as the sheet metal is thin so I had to use scrap wood as a backing.

I've been debating doing a toolbox CP for awhile now, but after seeing this build and Knub's I think it will be the best solution for me. I like the fuse holders, which ones are you using?

Also I'm curious, what kind of system are you running with four PIDs, or is it three and a timer?

Why are you sad? It's actually a nice toolbox for the price.

Stack-On SHB-16 16-Inch Multi-Purpose Steel Tool Box

Cooper Bussmann .25" x 1.25" Panel Mount Fuse Holder Part# HTB-26I-R

If I were to do it again I would just use a bank of fuse holders inside and save the hassle of drilling the holes. I guess I was going for symmetry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good price on the tool box, I like black. For my controller
I spent more than that just on paint. :) I also really like the controls and I am just stunned by how much you have managed to pack in there. It just looks really well laid out.

I am also a fan of big heatsinks mounted externally. It's a logical choice to have both heatsink and cables at the back, I'm sure you have thought about how much clearance you have there. I don't want to come across as critical because I really like the build, but the airflow would be slightly better if the orientation of the fins was vertical rather than horizontal. All the same I would like to know where you got it, it's a great size.

Looking good Vadim! :mug:

orangehero said:
Wiring wasn't difficult at all. I did have to make custom plates for the contactors to bolt down to the bottom.

Nice work!

Do you have any pics of the custom plates you made?

http://stores.ebay.com/lisa-ctrsurplus/_i.html?_nkw=heatsink&submit=Search&_sid=86734684

I think it's the same place that kal originally got his from. It was a used heatsink that I had to cut to size.

I don't think there will be any problems with cooling...as far as I understand it is grossly oversized for one SSR running 23A.

This is another place I found that seems like a good source:
http://www.heatsinkusa.com/

The plates are just sheet metal rectangles with a tapped hole in each corner. Then I stuck each contactor on with industrial double-sided tape.

I am very impressed! It's clean, well organized, well wired, and purely simple - exactly what a compact control panel should be.

What do the 2 switches next to each PID do? One looks to be an alarm switch but I can't tell about the other.

orangehero, you are the hero here, That is a great price and look. This style will be my next system.

orangehero said:
Here's my toolbox controller. I know a lot of people recommend getting massive enclosures to have lots of space for the components, but I wanted mine as compact as possible. With some careful measuring and planning I think I pulled it off. I still need to get two more PID controllers for it, but they should just drop in place.

That's really cool. Keep up the good work.

When I opened the thread I admit I was expecting to see some half-baked joke of a panel but what you've got here is one of the best, and most unique, control panels I've seen on the boards. You've won me over, got a parts list you could share?

I also did I just miss them or do you not have switched for your pumps on the box?

No parts list but it should be clear from the photos.

I have a separate toolbox for my pumps. I made a mistake in the design though...I should have made the pump heads stick out the sides so that they would balance each other out.

I think you might be able to squeeze in outlets and switches for two pumps. If I had a permanent brew area I probably would have gone with an industrial enclosure.

PumpToolboxFinal01.jpg

PumpToolboxFinal02.jpg

PumpToolboxFinal03.jpg

PumpToolboxFinal04.jpg

Orange hero. Love the control box, really love the pump box. But I am wondering what those black blocks are on the vertical connections?? Some kind of sight glass? Where did you get them?

Thanks! Again, great work and thank you for sharing.

Dang, I'm almost more impressed by your pump housing than your control box. Those are both excellent solutions to mobile brewing and this sort of setup looks like it'd be useful for anyone who does communal brewing and/or plans on moving around a bit. Do you find that your fans in your pump box provide sufficient airflow for continuous operation or do you stick with transfer usage duration only?

Dang, I'm almost more impressed by your pump housing than your control box. Those are both excellent solutions to mobile brewing and this sort of setup looks like it'd be useful for anyone who does communal brewing and/or plans on moving around a bit. Do you find that your fans in your pump box provide sufficient airflow for continuous operation or do you stick with transfer usage duration only?

I have a pump in a toolbox. No fan. I drilled some holes on one end. I've run for hours without an issue.

For my pump toolbox I'm planning on mounting the head outside the box (as many others have done here). It doesn't look as clean, but I hope it will reduce or eliminate the need for ventilation holes. I'm going to use a pretty big tool box too.

I really like the switches mounted with the pumps, both of the OPs tool box builds are awesome.

Awesome build. I am using your design for inspiration.

What kind of plug did you use for the pump? It looks a lot smaller than other options that I have seen.

20A 125V Short Strap Single Receptacle.

Beofore you begin drilling and cutting, I would suggest to cover the entire surface of the toolbox with painters tape and vacuum up the metal frequently.

Latest posts

Back