New to Star San - Please give me warnings - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New to Star San - Please give me warnings

Old 09-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #21
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
rockville, md
Liked 175 Times on 152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husher View Post
I use swing top bottles! Is Star San bad for steel? will it destroy my bales?
Short term exposure should not hurt your steel. I actually leave it in kegs for days, but I have read (ON THE INTERNET, buyer beware) that you should not leave it long term as over a long period of time it could pit the metal. Your bottles should be fine. I routinely soak quick disconnects in it for days with no issues.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #22
Husher
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

Thanks all for the advice. Since I bought 16 oz of it, I think I'll just bake up a gallon of the stuff using one of my kid's old plastic syringes. I shouldn't need more than that if spraying and sloshing. Cheers.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #23
butterpants
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2013
, Colorado
Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts

tap water, milky as hell immediately and no infections.....

Old 09-20-2013, 05:28 AM   #24
Trippel-A
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2011
Oak Park, IL
Liked 66 Times on 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husher View Post
I use swing top bottles! Is Star San bad for steel? will it destroy my bales?
If you're just sanitizing on bottling day, they won't be exposed long enough to be damaged.

Primary: All grain saison with rose hips, rose petals & hibiscus ("Scent of Flowers" Saison)
Secondary: none
Bottles: none

On deck: Imperial saison
Future plans: Flanders red, Michigan honey mead, Gose, Berliner Weisse

Old 09-29-2013, 03:19 AM   #25
Husher
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

Here's a new question: Is there any danger if star san reacting with my other cleaners? I use Hydrogen peroxide (one step) and vinegar. For tough stains I will use the hydrogen peroxide (use to be my sanitizer), and rarely I'll use vinegar for crud and blowoff cleanup. I do use these things on different days and rinse thoroughly, but store in the same area (basement). I've assumed they react badly and try to keep apart and I'm just wondering if I'm paranoid.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #26
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Texas
Liked 124 Times on 79 Posts

Quote:
The official answer is that Star San solutions should be clear and a pH below 3.5.

If you used Distilled water the solution would not turn cloudy. The product can react with hard water and turn cloudy. The Minerals in the water can react with the anionic portion of the star san and cause it to go bad. Yes, when this happens you should consider making a fresh solution. The cloudiness usually forms after a dwell time or when people try and store the solution for multiple weeks. If this is the case then, yes always start with a fresh solution.

Jon Herskovits
Five Star
The conventional wisdom is that Star San is good below pH 3.0. Apparently conventional wisdom never read the label.

Phosphoric acid 50%
Dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid 20%

The second ingredient is a detergent that reacts with calcium or magnesium to form a cloudy precipitate. This is the ‘slime’ that sometimes forms when people soak stuff long term. It comes from hard water, the vinyl is not dissolving.

No worries about your cleaning products having bad reactions. The one to worry about is to never mix bleach and vinegar directly. A better plan is to avoid using chlorine based cleaners altogether.

Husher Likes This 
Old 12-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #27
cbier60
Recipes 

Jan 2014
Atlanta, GA
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynne-R View Post
Phosphoric acid 50%
Dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid 20%

The second ingredient is a detergent that reacts with calcium or magnesium to form a cloudy precipitate. This is the ‘slime’ that sometimes forms when people soak stuff long term. It comes from hard water, the vinyl is not dissolving.

No worries about your cleaning products having bad reactions.
Charlie Talley (I think) of Five Star explains about the slime due to the Dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid (DBSA) at ~1:10:30 of this BN Session podcast. He says you should be able to break down the DBSA soap formed by soaking in PBW.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:30 PM   #28
TheMadKing
Nuclear Humanitarian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2015
Gainesville, Georgia
Liked 343 Times on 267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebrewer View Post
Mine starts out "milky" because it interacts with something in my water. Never had a problem with it...
Same here. Mine is always milky. I thought that was normal haha
Aging Palpatine's Imperial Porter
On Tap Nuthin' left!.. I screwed up!
On Deck: Head in a Berliner-Weisse

Old 12-18-2015, 03:33 PM   #29
TheMadKing
Nuclear Humanitarian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2015
Gainesville, Georgia
Liked 343 Times on 267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3n00b View Post
This isn't the case. Mine turns cloudy immediately and has a PH of less than 3 for 1-2 months. No infections here.
Same here
Aging Palpatine's Imperial Porter
On Tap Nuthin' left!.. I screwed up!
On Deck: Head in a Berliner-Weisse

Old 12-18-2015, 03:39 PM   #30

Not sure why this is resurrected, but the phrase "dont fear the foam" has now been uttered 4 times. Which is actually surprisingly less than I anticipated when I clicked on this