Bacteria Identification under microscope

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealperkins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think I read that bacteria appear as very small dark objects (compared to the yeast) at 400 power. Is there more to it than that?

Do I need to try and ID them at a higher power? (My scope goes to 1600)

After rapid fermentation, the very slow bubbling just won't quit. I'm fairly sure I have an infection (rare for me but it is flying bug season) and before I pitch 10 gallons of Belgium Dubbel...I want to be sure.

Thanks

Bacteria come in all shapes and sizes, but few of them can be seen at 400x, especially without a stain. Use your 1600x view and Gram stain the bacteria for best results. I want a scope like yours at home!

Many bacteria can be at least seen at 400X though a stain is a great help in characterizing what they are. The dread Pediococcus looks, next to a yeast cell, like a tiny dot and they are often found in pairs and tetrads. Lactobacillus look like very thin rods. etc. Look them up on the internet. They will often have photomicrographs.

Your scope doesn't really go to 1600. Unless it is a very expensive laboratory instrument using oil immersion objectives what it is providing is called 'empty resolution'. The difference between 800x and 1600x once the true resolution of the instrument has been passed is that the 1600x blurry blob is twice as big as the 800x blurry blob. You can't see any more structure or detail in the larger image because it is beyond the capabilities of the optics. If you have a good scope with a 40x objective and 10x eyepiece you will get 400x, about as high as you can go with out oil. Unscrupulous marketers will include 20x and even 40x eyepieces and say the scope is capable of 800 and 1600x. It's a lie.

How it tastes is much more important than what you think you are seeing under the microscope. Have you tasted it yet?

How it tastes is much more important than what you think you are seeing under the microscope.
That's true if it tastes good. If it tastes bad and you suspect infection it is helpful to know which beast is responsible in order to know how to best combat it.

Have you tasted it yet?
But this is very important too.

Yes, I've tasted it and there is no dicernable off-flavor...yet. Yes, it's young, rough, and a little hot. But, 8 years ago I made this same beer (my second beer) and after 4-5 months it went from those characteristics to wonderful via the beer fairy.

Yet, the bubbling continues...that's different.

So, maybe I'll just keg it and we'll see if the beer fairy makes a return trip.

Thanks for your help.

Back