massive (wild) hop score

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

833R

Reaction score
In Burnaby B.C canada close to vancouver. I found some hops...lots i picked over 8lbs of them. basically I crammed as much as I could in my backpack. picked 2 evenings. drying them out right now.
anyone know the area, what they could be.
one thing I noticed, don't know if its ripeness or what, but the hops did smell a bit different form some plants to the next. a bit more citrus. over all about the same. (some plants i picked in burnaby where about .5 mile apart.
already made a wet hop beer with them.
picked at another location on the west side by the beach (20km). these were very good,made a red ale with them. different hops though, I almost think crystal.
510.jpg
these were some big ones i found
517.jpg
this vine actually broke the small dead tree it was growing on.
518.jpg
had so much i threw this log of compressed hops in the freezer so it wouldn't spoil. made beer with it. all of it about 4 or so oz if dry. maybe more it was well over a pound.
521.jpg
my apartment smells good right now. a lot of the hops shattered when I picked them. or in transport.
508.jpg
this is kinda how it was all growing. right in with the blackberries. tough work

Wow!! That is a most excellent score. I would love to come across some wild hops.

They may be some good brewers hops, or the much less desirable ornamental variety. Brew up a batch and see how they taste and smell! You may want to use a bittering hop with a known alpha acid content, though. Using these wild hops for bittering might be kind of iffy...

They may be some good brewers hops, or the much less desirable ornamental variety. Brew up a batch and see how they taste and smell! You may want to use a bittering hop with a known alpha acid content, though. Using these wild hops for bittering might be kind of iffy...

Eh, i never understood the fear of using home grown hops for bittering.

Make a 1 Gallon SMASH with your hops and some extra light DME or pils malt for like $5 in ingredients most of the cost coming from yeast, make a recipe to what you'd consider a good bitterness say 60/70 IBU, and see how it turns out If its way too bitter you know you have a high AA, if it tastes like water you have a low AA crop.

Sure you wont be exact, but honestly none of our recipes are anyways, IBU's are just a formula some dude made up.

A little late to the thread. I found some also in the Burnaby area. Near Marine and Kerr. I was never able to return to pick any more than the few I grabbed to check out.

So the beer turned out good. Low IBUs though, as expected I guess. I'll probably end up keeping for aroma/dry hoping. No off flavors, just mild.

If you ever go by this area again can you grab me a rhizome? I'll gladly pay to have them shipped. I am trying to breed new hop varieties and I am looking for wild genetic material.

Latest posts

Back