Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Leftover hops - What can I make?

Old 09-17-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 261 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Default Leftover hops - What can I make?

I have an odd assortment of hops left over from previous batches. Being a rather frugal (cheap) type person, I'd like to use them up rather than just tossing them out. Toward that end I'd like some input from more experienced/adventuresome brewers to come up with some recipe suggestions about how to use these hops. All recipe suggestions will be appreciated and if I end up making the recipe I promise I'll follow up with a report of how it turned out.

I'm looking for 5 gallon batches - all grain. Existing recipes are good. Created recipes are great. I 'll be happy to buy more hops to complete a recipe, but I don't want to be left with partial bags when I'm done. And I know I won't use them all up in one batch. Tell me how you'd use these hops. Cheers!

Horizon 1/2 oz.
Mt. Hood 1 oz.
Centennial 1 1/2oz.
U.K Fuggles 4 oz.
Hallertauer 1/2 oz

All good beers have 4 things in common:

1. A good recipe closely followed
2. Good ingredients
3. Good sanitation
4. Excellent temperature control

Beer --- the reason I wake up every afternoon.

------

Old 09-17-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 536 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Make a porter with the Fuggles and Hallertauer. I'd use the Horizon, Mt. Hood and Centennial in a nice IPA/DIPA. Horizon for bittering, Centennial for flavoring and Mt. Hood for aroma.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:23 AM   #3
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
Make a porter with the Fuggles and Hallertauer. I'd use the Horizon, Mt. Hood and Centennial in a nice IPA/DIPA. Horizon for bittering, Centennial for flavoring and Mt. Hood for aroma.
I hadn't thought of combining those that way. Great suggestions! Thanks.

2. Good ingredients
3. Good sanitation

------

Old 09-17-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
RonPopeil
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 16

english IPA or pale. horizon to bitter and fuggles to flavor. maybe a sprinkle of mt. hood to cut them.

american pale. horizon to bitter, centennial and mt hood to flavor. maybe cut with a bit of fuggles to add that noble/continental spice to the mix.

milk stout. small amount of horizon to bitter. fuggles at 20 to season.

big belgian dubbel or tripel. bitter with fuggles, flavor with hallertau.

you have a good variety. it's easy to think of ideas. especially if you can pick up an ounce or two to balance it out.

for what it's worth you could probably do a few of these considering it's hops. like, i could see doing an APA and a milk stout with this. or even the belgian since it wouldn't take much. lots you can do if hops are the only factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Homebrewing as a way to save money is like getting married as a way to always have sex.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPopeil View Post
american pale. horizon to bitter, centennial and mt hood to flavor. maybe cut with a bit of fuggles to add that noble/continental spice to the mix.

you have a good variety. it's easy to think of ideas. especially if you can pick up an ounce or two to balance it out.

for what it's worth you could probably do a few of these considering it's hops. .... lots you can do if hops are the only factor.
This is what's so cool about this forum. I've been brewing for about a year and am still getting a feel for what goes with what. It's great to get feedback from experienced brewers.

It looks like the Horizon for bittering is a common thread. I didn't realize that the centennial and the Mt Hood were used for flavoring/aroma. I think I'll go with that combination and build an APA.

And I still like the earlier suggestion where I can use the Fuggles and Hallertauer by making a porter.

Thanks!

2. Good ingredients
3. Good sanitation

------

Old 09-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
RonPopeil
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddlethumper View Post
This is what's so cool about this forum. I've been brewing for about a year and am still getting a feel for what goes with what. It's great to get feedback from experienced brewers.

It looks like the Horizon for bittering is a common thread. I didn't realize that the centennial and the Mt Hood were used for flavoring/aroma. I think I'll go with that combination and build an APA.

And I still like the earlier suggestion where I can use the Fuggles and Hallertauer by making a porter.

Thanks!
mt hood is going to come off like a noble hop. if you're doing an APA trying making the flavor centennial dominant. 2.5-3:1 ratio centennial:MH if you can. otherwise you could just drop the mount hood.

Quote:
Homebrewing as a way to save money is like getting married as a way to always have sex.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
mt hood is going to come off like a noble hop. if you're doing an APA trying making the flavor centennial dominant. 2.5-3:1 ratio centennial:MH if you can. otherwise you could just drop the mount hood.
Didn't know that about the Mount Hood. I don't even recall why I bought them in the first place, but the recipe must have called for a small amount or I wouldn't have the leftovers now.

I have something close to your suggested ratio in my leftovers. What do you think of an APA using 1 oz. Horizon at 60 min for bittering, then use 1 1/2 oz Centennial and 1/2 oz Mt Hood for aroma at 1 min? I'm thinking about 8 1/2 lbs. domestic two row, 1 lb Munich, 8 oz Vienna and maybe 8 oz. Crystal 40L.

BTW, what kinds of beers are MH hops typically used in?

2. Good ingredients
3. Good sanitation

------

Old 09-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
RonPopeil
Recipes 

Quote:
Didn't know that about the Mount Hood. I don't even recall why I bought them in the first place, but the recipe must have called for a small amount or I wouldn't have the leftovers now.

I have something close to your suggested ratio in my leftovers. What do you think of an APA using 1 oz. Horizon at 60 min for bittering, then use 1 1/2 oz Centennial and 1/2 oz Mt Hood for aroma at 1 min? I'm thinking about 8 1/2 lbs. domestic two row, 1 lb Munich, 8 oz Vienna and maybe 8 oz. Crystal 40L.

BTW, what kinds of beers are MH hops typically used in?
your recipe is pretty close. i'm guessing your hops are pretty set so i changed your grain bill a bit. the grainbill you have nets a 1.038 OG. with a healthy amount of crystal you're going to finish higher. your hops also net you 50 IBU's, 43 from the bittering charge. this would be a pretty bitter beer with not much hop flavor and possibly on the thin side. makes 4% ABV.

if you go to 9.5lbs of 2 row you end up a bit more balanced. even at this point you're OG is 1.056 and you're netting 50 IBU, 46 from the Horizon addition. not sure how bitter you like your beers but that's gonna come off quite bitter. you could reduce your horizon addition to .5oz then bomb all your hops in at 10 minutes. that will put your IBU's right around 50again but give you good hop flavor.

My personal preference would be to grab 2 more ounces of centennial. then do something like

9.5# 2 row
1# munich
.5# C10
.5# C40

0.5oz Horizon @ 60 23.4 IBU
1.0oz Mt Hood @ 10 7.2 IBU
2.5oz Centennial @ 5 (or less) 18.9 IBU (or less)
1.0oz Centennial Dry hop, four days

your numbers there look like:

OG 1.056
FG 1.014
IBU 50
SRM 7.3
ABV 5.5

so your IBU's work out to be the same but a lot of it is coming with the centennial charge rather than getting all flavorless IBU's from the horizon addition. you're also staggering the hop additions which will put more emphasis on the centennial compared to adding them all at the same time.

Mt. Hood was bred from Hallertau. It's used in beers where you typically use noble hops. situations where hop flavor isn't the focus. wheats, tripels, pilseners/lagers.. that sort of thing. not to say they don't taste good. they're just a far cry from the pungent stinky american cones we usually use in hoppy beers.

here's a free beer calculator.

http://www.brewtarget.org/

i use a linux machine so i use this rather than beersmith or some such. it's pretty good for free. it takes a bit of fiddling around to get used to it. it can be quirky. one of the things that i always forget is to add a yeast. if you don't plug a yeast in it won't give you gravities.

sorry for the leisurely response. school's been stressful lately. hence the empty fermenters.

Quote:
Puddlethumper Likes This 
Old 09-19-2013, 11:37 PM   #9
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
sorry for the leisurely response. school's been stressful lately. hence the empty fermenters.
Great suggestions and I really appreciate the time you spent on this. I'm thinking I may just follow your recipe and see how it turns out.

I prefer my beers a little "malt forward" with a leaning toward English and Irish beers. Bitterness is OK in moderation, but beers like most double IPA's are, to my taste buds, over the top. So 50 IBU's is going to be pretty bitter by my standards, but if balanced with enough malt, will probably taste pretty good.

I have yet to figure out how to use beer calculators. Need to bear down on that I guess. So far have just been "winging it" following recipes and tweaking them with what sounds good. Not a lot of science in my brewing technique.

Thanks for the suggestions.

2. Good ingredients
3. Good sanitation

------

Old 09-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #10
RonPopeil
Recipes 

Quote:
Great suggestions and I really appreciate the time you spent on this. I'm thinking I may just follow your recipe and see how it turns out.

I prefer my beers a little "malt forward" with a leaning toward English and Irish beers. Bitterness is OK in moderation, but beers like most double IPA's are, to my taste buds, over the top. So 50 IBU's is going to be pretty bitter by my standards, but if balanced with enough malt, will probably taste pretty good.

I have yet to figure out how to use beer calculators. Need to bear down on that I guess. So far have just been "winging it" following recipes and tweaking them with what sounds good. Not a lot of science in my brewing technique.

Thanks for the suggestions.
no worries man.

if you want to figure how malty/hoppy your beer is going to be it's good to use the BU:GU method. just take your IBU's and divide that by the last two numbers of your original gravity, or three if it rolls over to 1.100. typically your number comes back as a decimal that's less than one. you can look up BJCP guidelines for beer styles that use that measurement. brewtarget also calculates it for you.

since you prefer a little more maltiness do a thick mash, 1qt of water per LB of grain on up to 1.25. no higher. you could also use a lower mash temp (~150) to bring the malt presence out. I would also cut the IBU's back to the 30's.

if you do .5oz of mt hood at 10 mins and 1.5 of centennial at flame out that will bring you down to 30 IBU flat. if you want it a little more bitter doing the centennial at 5 mins will give you 38IBU. perceived bitterness should be quite low since you're getting more bitterness from late additions than early.

Quote: