National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Help with light lager - Strange taste after bottling (Acetaldehyde?)

Old 09-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
thegreatmp5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help with light lager - Strange taste after bottling (Acetaldehyde?)

Hello,

I usually do ales without any problems. But this time, I brewed a light lager (75% 2-row + 25% flaked corn, 12 IBU hallertau at 60 minutes). Fermented at 50F for 3 weeks with WLP-940 Mexican lager, no starter 1 vial for 2 gallons of beer. It tasted really nice before bottling (I was planning to do the lagering in bottles). I did not add new yeast prior bottling.

After 1 week of bottle condition (at 66F), not a lot of carbonation, sulfur taste (the fermentation wasn't complete).

After 2 weeks in bottles (at 66F), good carbonation but a strange green/herbal taste at the end. Is it acetaldehyde?

I have never had this problem with my ales in 10 years. Is it specific to lager yeast?

For now, I stated the lagering phase with some bottles (35F) and the other bottles are kept at room temperature (66F).

Is it possible to do a good bottle carbonated lager?

Any advice?

Thanks!

Sam

Old 09-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
Trail
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Of course it's possible, your beer just isn't ready yet. As Revvy will doubtless materialize to tell you, three weeks is the low end of the carb + condition time spectrum. It will often take longer. Leave it alone for another month, and then if necessary re-lager them right in the bottles... and by that I mean, stick them in the fridge for a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The first step is locating a cheap pasta maker. Are you married? If so you probably got one as a wedding present.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
thegreatmp5
Recipes 

Kerin, you were right! I had 3 sets of bottles:

A - Kept in cold (33F) : the green apple taste never went away
B - Room temperature (65F) : the green apple taste faded (50% less)
C - Warm temperature (75F) : the green apple taste went away

Next time, I'll make sure to condition my lagers at warmer temperature and for a longer time (3+ weeks).

Thanks again!

Sam

Old 09-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
Trail
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Not a problem. It's actually an easy mistake to make if you lager in the bottles, which isn't uncommon: if you do this, you have to make sure to take them back out of the fridge for a few weeks before you chill to serve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The first step is locating a cheap pasta maker. Are you married? If so you probably got one as a wedding present.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
gometz
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 84

For my one lager this year (my re-birth to brewing year), I lagered in the secondary at 34*F and then left in the bottles for 5 weeks at room temperature. Once that was done they were pretty damned good if I may say so myself. There were some off flavors, but I attribute that to the water mostly.