Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Fuggles plant crisis, HELP!

Old 09-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Brewer Gerard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My fuggles plant seems to be in bother and it's at the stage where the cones are starting to become affected

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130916_104951.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	148522

They're really starting to ripen and I'm worried about losing the whole lot. I sprayed with some insecticide about a week ago which doesn't seem to have helped at all

Old 09-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Brewer Gerard
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Any suggestions at all?

Old 09-17-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1921 Times on 1495 Posts

I'm going to guess that a close-up shot of one afflicted leaf and little textual context apparently isn't enough for an informed diagnosis...

Cheers!

Old 09-17-2013, 04:51 AM   #4
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 179 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 333

It actually looks like you have a bunch of hops growing up the hill in the background of the picture. Also, how high up on the vine was that picture taken? Lots of times the lower leaves tend to go off color late in the season while the upper portion of the plant still looks good. All this diagnosin' makes me thirsty. Time for a beer!

"Neil & I would've tweeted from the moon if we could have but I would prefer to tweet from Mars. Maybe by 2040" ~ @TheRealBuzz, Buzz Aldrin 11:20 PM - 04 Jan 13

Old 09-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
Brewer Gerard
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That leaf is at around head height. All the leaves below that have been removed with the same symptoms. It appears to be spreading up the plant. Some cones are starting to brown also and i don't think this is a result of ripening

Old 09-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
Veedo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I think they are just ripe. All the leaves on ours started to yellow and fall off from the bottom up also. The cones were fine.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
Brewer Gerard
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ok cool, probably panicking a bit so. Really dont want to lose any portion of the crop at this stage. Crossing fingers and toes

Old 09-18-2013, 03:08 AM   #8
Scotty_g
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

I've noticed the same kind of pattern on the leaves late in the season and never worried about it. I pick the cones when they start to get dry and papery; they often have a little bit of light brown on them and that's ok. Too much brown and they will start to get cheesy (make sure you get good air circulation around the flowers while they dry!). I think what your plant may be saying is that the growing season is over and it's time to harvest.

I hope what you sprayed with is something that won't hurt you...1 week to harvest is a little closer than I'd care for.

Yes, that *is* beer. Water, malt, hops, and yeast mean it's beer. Go ahead and try a glass...

Old 09-18-2013, 05:01 AM   #9
FuzzeWuzze
DIY King
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Pull one off and grind it up in your hands and take a big whiff to see if it smells good. If its starting to brown like that they should be pretty tissue paper feeling and crunchy...if thats the case pick them before they go bad!

Old 09-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
Brothfeder
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think your fine, its defenetly time to harvest. I waited a bit too long this year and they started to brown up a bit. When they turn from a dark green to a lime green they are about ready. Squeeze the cones. If they bounce back to their original shape they are ready. If they remain compressed they are not ripe.

When you sprayed that insecticide did you look carefully for any critters living on those plants? What did you see? Pictures? Never use chemicals unless you are sure.

Here is a link to a good pest/disease management pdf for diagnostic purposes. But at this point I wouldn't spray anything, just get em off the bine and enjoy.

http://ipm.wsu.edu/field/pdf/HopHandbook2010.pdf

Happy brewin'.