Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Added bittering hops last 15 minutes only

Old 09-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
kathy2472
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Added bittering hops last 15 minutes only

last weekend I Made an extract recipe a Stout recipe called for 1 ounce nugget for 60 minutes. I misread directions an added last 15 minutes. Is there any way to fix.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
WileECoyote
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Hello, Hops do different things in your boil when added at different times, that being said here is a generic rundown of what hops do.

60 min in boil is Bittering.
20 to 30 min in boil is for flavor.
5 to 10 min are for Aroma.

There really isnt any fixing adding your hops at the wrong time, but if I had done this in one of my brews I would let it ride and see how it comes out.

Adding your bittering hops at 15 min isn't going to bitter your beer very much at all, its going to give it a lot of hop flavor, and maybe some hop aroma.

I guess you could brew a 1 gallon batch of the same brew and add 1 1/4 oz of nugget at 60 min then add that mix to your current batch to up the bitterness, but this still will not take away the hop flavor that was imparted in the first batch.

As you can see there isn't really any way to make it like the recipe originally called for, but it still might turn out to be a good batch of beer in the end, so ill say it once again, if I had done this in one of my brews I would let it ride and see how it comes out, or maybe over hop a 1 gal batch and add it like I described above.

Worst case scenario, you learned a lesson, we have all made mistakes brewing.

Hope this helps !

Cheers

Please let me know how it turns out.

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 09-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Yes, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's only going to be about half as bitter, but depending on your pallet you might even prefer that.

You can make a bittering tea by boiling hops in water for an hour or more and add that either now or when you bottle. My book has more details, which will be published this month. You can also figure it out from an online recipe calculator.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
kathy2472
Recipes 

Thanks...I think is ill taste next week and if I need to I will try the bittering tea.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
WileECoyote
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy2472 View Post
Thanks...I think is ill taste next week and if I need to I will try the bittering tea.
How did it turn out?

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 10-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
kathy2472
Recipes 

I used a wine thief I tasted it and Tasted side by side with another batch I brewed. It seemed to be fine. It is still sitting in secondary. I read a review and they said to gets better over time. Hoping to bottle it this weekend. hanks for your help. Will let you know how the final version comes out.