Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > High ABV Belgian wheat

Old 09-14-2013, 03:38 AM   #1
MattesonR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default High ABV Belgian wheat

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Belgian wit ale yeast
Yeast Starter: n/a
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: n/a
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 7.2% ABV
Final Gravity: n/a
IBU: ?
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: dark brown
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days 65 -70
Additional Fermentation: n/a
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 0 days
Tasting Notes: amazing

Just brewed today! I brewed a belgian wheat kit my local home brew shop put together. I wanted a higher ABV. I added my first round of hops at 60 min., second round at 18 mins (I dont know if this changes much..but I knew that the flavor would be off without giving just a little more hop aroma than normal) I added at the 10 min mark coriander and I believe it to be dried orange peel and 1 cup of table sugar (in hopes of raising gravity). after flameout I poured into my primary through a strainer and hit it with my wort cooler.

I started a boil with 2 gallons of water. I added my recycled spices and hop additions. I heated this up and let boil for about 1 minute. I poured this into my primary through a strainer pitched my white labs belgian wit ale yeast liquid yeast.

Does anyone have any idea on how this is going to turn out? I know that using table sugar like this will reduce the body. does the early hop addition and the recycling of spices make up for that?

Old 02-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
supermutantbrewmaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

My fiancee loves high abv Belgians. Instead of adding table sugar, I add more wheat dme. I find it keeps the wheat character very well while boosting the abv to 7 or 8 %