Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > High Gravity Fermentation Time

Old 10-30-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
Ales4Ever
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default High Gravity Fermentation Time

I am making a high gravity Trappist inspired brew, that is currently in my primary. I used a liquid yeast (Trappist High Gravity) and pitched it about 6 days ago.

Since I had no experince with making a big beer like this before, I made the mistake of not making a starter, as there was a lag time of 30 hours before any visable signs of fermentation took place.

Well, to say the least, fermentation took off(!). When should I expect my fermentation lock to stop bubbling? It bubbles now, every 25 seconds. Do these types of brews take a real long time in the primary?

Old 10-30-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The only way that you can be sure is to take gravity readings. Identical gravity readings on back to back days means that it's ready to be transferred.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
srm775
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ales4Ever
I am making a high gravity Trappist inspired brew, that is currently in my primary. I used a liquid yeast (Trappist High Gravity) and pitched it about 6 days ago.

Since I had no experince with making a big beer like this before, I made the mistake of not making a starter, as there was a lag time of 30 hours before any visable signs of fermentation took place.

Well, to say the least, fermentation took off(!). When should I expect my fermentation lock to stop bubbling? It bubbles now, every 25 seconds. Do these types of brews take a real long time in the primary?
Based on style, your SG was probably around 70 to 80 and you're aiming for a FG of 18 to 11. Without knowing the fermentation temp, which is really important for that style of beer, I would say it should be in primary for atleast three weeks.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
Ales4Ever
Recipes 

Thank you both for your responses!

Here was my recipe:

6.6 pounds extra light Northern Brewer

3.3 pounds light Northern Brewer

1/2 pound Crystal Malt (40L)

1/2 pound Castle

1/2 pound Briess Pale Malt

1 oz Magnum (boiling)

1 oz Saaz

1oz Saaz (dry hop)

In my infinate wisdom, I did not take an inital hydrometer reading.......I will take one tommorrow and compare it to one taken 3 days from then. Is it typical for high gravity brews to be in the primary fora longer period of time?

Oh....the temps have been 69-75 degrees

Old 10-30-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sometimes they take longer, but there's no absolute rule here. Sometimes my lower OG brews take 10 days to finish and sometimes my high OG brews take 4 days. Just let it be, don't worry about it, and check your gravitah.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)