Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > New to the hobby! Looking at Brinkmann 57" Vertical Smoker

Old 09-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
It's almost as addictive as brewing, ain't it?

I don't have any experience with that unit, but I sure have been happy with my 18.5 inch Weber Smoky Mountain, which was about the same price. Two 18.5 inch grates, and I've had it go almost 24 hours on one load of coals. I've also done 15-hour overnight cooks in the middle of Wisconsin January.

I also have a WSM and I agree with this. I have also done close to 24 hours smokes and overnight smokes.

Primary 1: Nothing
Primary 2: Nothing
Kegged: American Brown
Kegged: Nothing
Kegged: Nothing

Old 09-13-2013, 01:08 AM   #12
benzy4010
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wsm!

Old 09-13-2013, 01:09 AM   #13
benzy4010
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Did you use the minion method for the 24 hour and did you add coals

Old 09-13-2013, 01:10 AM   #14
benzy4010
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

And did you also have the round basket in?

Old 09-13-2013, 01:53 AM   #15
n240sxguy
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 105 Posts

I have a 30" masterbilt propane smoker that I got in a Black Friday deal for $100 a few years ago. I have since automated it, but I noticed in the beginning that if you didn't have water in the water bowl you would have the gas almost on minimum to maintain 230. With water, you would have to have it 2/3-3/4 open.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:17 AM   #16
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 800 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
I have a 30" masterbilt propane smoker that I got in a Black Friday deal for $100 a few years ago. I have since automated it, but I noticed in the beginning that if you didn't have water in the water bowl you would have the gas almost on minimum to maintain 230. With water, you would have to have it 2/3-3/4 open.
Thanks. I'll definitely have water. These are known for having pans that are way too small, so I'm going to put in a bigger water pan.

Just rubbed the brisket, and I'm getting excited. Wife bought an 11.5 lb prime brisket from Costco. The marbling is exquisite!

Old 09-13-2013, 05:27 AM   #17
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default gs 40 mods

I see people complain all the time about the little smoke leak around the door. Why? Yes, mine leaks a little and plugging all the "leaks" doesn't change the temperature, or the smoke density. There are many mods to the chip trays. Some use a cast iron pan as a chip pan, and swear by it. I tried the cast iron pan a couple of different ways, and couldn't track the temps I wanted. YMMV. What I did to mine was change the water pan to a foil throw away lasagne pan from the dollar store, and I baffled the heat around and above the water pan. On the water pan level I put foil in the front and the back, and the rack above, I put foil or each end. What it does if you were to look from the top down all you could see is the water pan. I was tired of food not cooking as evenly as I had wanted. Granted, I have ADHD and there always has to be something to do "better". By baffling the heat, I have to run the gas wide open to maintain 230 F. I have no problem holding 140-160 now with the baffles. I take a 9" cake pan, put 2 or 3 chunks of wood in it cover it with foil, poke a 1" or so hole in it and place the hole away from the fire, and can keep a wisp of smoke going for up to 2 hours. I quit using my propane powered bullet because I use the burner as the heat source for my home brew rig. PM me, and I'll take some pictures for you. BTW, congratulations on your smoker, the quality of food you can produce is amazing, and what a deal! Holy cow!
EDIT: I have done whole fillets of salmon cold smoking. Take the baffles and close them, throw a piece of foil over the burner, get a can of the wood chips of your choice, stick a cheapo soldering iron in it, and viola' a cold smoke generator. Cool, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwarbiany View Post
MindenMan,

Reviews from a few folks on the MasterBuilt say that they can't get the thing to stay below 250 on low... A little concerning.

Now, I know most people are probably looking at the built-in (totally inaccurate) thermometer rather than a calibrated one inside at grate level, so this might be nothing. I'm just wondering your take on it.

Also, looks like it's only $157 on Amazon right now... I was thinking of holding off until November to get a smoker, but that's just at the very high end of "impulse buy" right now!

Reason: I missed something

Old 09-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #18
n240sxguy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwarbiany

Thanks. I'll definitely have water. These are known for having pans that are way too small, so I'm going to put in a bigger water pan.

Just rubbed the brisket, and I'm getting excited. Wife bought an 11.5 lb prime brisket from Costco. The marbling is exquisite!
I don't put water in mine. I just use it as a grease catcher. Like I said, I automated mine, so it just chugs along; and I don't have to worry about where the valve is set. I only tried it with water one time, and swore I'd never waste that much propane ever again.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #19
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 45

You state you "automated" yours; what does that mean exactly? I'm curious now.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #20
n240sxguy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindenMan
You state you "automated" yours; what does that mean exactly? I'm curious now.
I'm glad you asked! I just took a couple pictures of it to post on here. I bought a temp controller, thermocouple, junction box, solenoid valve, and various fittings. I took the propane line off the valve underneath the smoker, and put a T, a needle valve to control the pilot light, a solenoid valve to control the main burner, and copper tubing to the burner where the original propane line was connected. The needle valve has a smaller piece of tubing to be the pilot light next to the burner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3703760232.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	147944

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-193711117.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	147945

I'm sure I did a crappy job painting a mental picture of everything, so ask any questions you have.