Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > pumpkin beer has a sour taste ?

Old 09-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #11
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 592 Times on 498 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Have you had past experience that would support this line of thinking? I sure haven't. If it tastes horrible at a month, it continues to taste horrible.
I have brewed a couple of "big" beers that required longer ageing to balance out- a Dubbel and a Quad.

Why does Happy Hour limit happiness to 1/24 of the day?

Old 09-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
TyTanium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 551 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclman View Post
I have brewed a couple of "big" beers that required longer ageing to balance out- a Dubbel and a Quad.
Well sure, balance out is one thing. But harsh & horrible to best beer ever? Seems like a stretch. Or hyperbole.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #13
jshake
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

well still has a sour smell to it. the one thing I can say is it doesn't taste as bad as it smells. I think this will be my first and last pumpkin beer I make.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #14
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1981 Posts
Likes Given: 5133

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshake View Post
well still has a sour smell to it. the one thing I can say is it doesn't taste as bad as it smells. I think this will be my first and last pumpkin beer I make.
If the sour is due to infection then you will eventually run out of beers to brew if you opt not to brew one type because of said infection. Find out the source of the infection, if possible, and brew again. I will put good money on the fact that you brewing a pumpkin beer is not the reason you got the infection. It could have happened to any beer, in other words.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #15
jshake
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

took some to a meeting of a brew club i'm in they didn't think it was an infection but maybe something with the pumpkin pie spice in it. all in all just not a beer style i really like it sounded good but you just don't know until you try.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:53 PM   #16
august8music
Recipes 

I just brewed a pumpkin beer 5 weeks ago and became sour and even more so after a month of aging. Its tasting like more of a cider now.
So I did a 2nd batch, made sure everything the beer touched was sanitary. Tasted great in primary, wife even approved of the flavor.
Put it in 2nd, 1 week after primary, with some roasted pumpkin (roasted for 1.5hrs at 300).
2 days later started to taste sour again.

I dont know whats going on or why this is happening.

10llb 2-row
2.5lb Munich
1lb Extra Special
1lb Crystal
1lb Rice Hulls
0.5 Pumpkin seeds (roasted and green)

4lb pumpkin
1 tsp pumpkin spice

1968 English ESB WYEAST

Old 10-21-2014, 10:24 PM   #17
TipsySaint
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 103

what temp is the secondary at? if it's in the 80's or higher it's possible you are getting a lactobacillus infection...which makes cidery mouth puckering sour flavors. It happens fast and creates a thin white pelliclie. How good did you scrub your secondary carboy and racking tools?

Kegged -NE Abbey Beir De Garde, Kolsch, Sawtooth Nitro Clone