Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > rebending stainless steel

Old 09-11-2013, 04:05 AM   #1
Leadpencil
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default rebending stainless steel

Hi all,
I just finished my electric brewery build. I did two batches over the weekend. I bought a 50 herms coil from Stainless Brewing. It's a nice product and I highly recommend them.
After the first brew I noticed a strange boil pattern and thought it could just be how electric works, however after the second batch I noticed that when it is boiling that the wort comes over the top of the coil and recirculates down the walls of the kettle.
I want to cut the coil, around 15 to 20 feet off and expand it to allow the wort to move between the coils. What is the best way to do this and rebend it to hook back up to the kettle?

Thanks

Old 09-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
processhead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think you would run a high risk of kinking the coil in the process of reforming it.
SS is not known for ease of forming once, let alone multiple times.

Aside from the odd boiling pattern, did you notice any other negative aspects to the boil or finished product?

Old 09-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Chrisl77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What kettle do you have the herms coil in? I don't know if theres another way to do herms but my setup has the coil in my hlt and I recirculate my mash through the coil.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1301 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Just taking a guess but I think it's probably an in-place immersion chiller in the boil kettle. I never really got on board with that idea due to difficulty cleaning.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:48 AM   #5
Leadpencil
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Bobby is correct. I have a 42 quart Polarware kettle. I use the coil for heat exchange and as a chiller.

Because of the tightness of the coil the water and wort levels are about a inch apart. Cleaning is a bit difficult because of that.