Secondary too big...? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Secondary too big...?

Old 09-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
slipperypick
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Denver 'burbs

Hi all,
I was going to rack my latest 5 gallon batch of brew into a secondary, but I planned poorly: All I have is a 6.5 gallon carboy right now. Would squirting some CO2 into it before racking protect it from oxidation? Or should I go get a more appropriately sized carboy?

Old 09-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
RmikeVT
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Baltimore, MD
Liked 141 Times on 121 Posts

What type of beer?

I would just leave in primary until you are ready to package. You don't want that extra head space in the secondary, even if you use co2 to purge. I wouldn't risk it. Unless you plan on bulk aging for months, I wouldn't recommend moving the beer until you package it.

Ryan

Old 09-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
State College, Pennsylvania
Liked 205 Times on 167 Posts

If you have a way to purge it with CO2 then you are all set. I always purge whenever I move beer to a new container, whether it be another carboy, or a keg
Primary: Ger Pils, CAP
Brewing soon: Pale lager, Amer. wheat
Recently kicked : (
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Fordzilla Likes This 
Old 09-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
hunter_la5
Sheriff Underscore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2012
New Braunfels, Texas
Liked 5736 Times on 3285 Posts

Many people find that using a secondary isn't necessary for them. Nowadays I just do an extended primary and achieve the same effect, with less oxidation risk.

However, back whenever I used to do secondaries on all my beers, I routinely put 5 gallons of beer into 6.5 gallon secondaries. Is there a risk of oxidation? Sure. But if you are careful (be very gentle with the transfer), it can be done just fine. I never ruined a batch this way. Adding CO2 before and after the transfer can certainly help.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
BigFloyd
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Tyler, Texas
Liked 759 Times on 652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RmikeVT View Post
What type of beer?

I would just leave in primary until you are ready to package. You don't want that extra head space in the secondary, even if you use co2 to purge. I wouldn't risk it. Unless you plan on bulk aging for months, I wouldn't recommend moving the beer until you package it.

Ryan
This^^^^^.

If you have the means to do so, you can clarify the beer nicely (without a secondary) by cold crashing it in the primary 5 days at 35-40*F prior to bottling/kegging.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
slipperypick
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Denver 'burbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RmikeVT View Post
What type of beer?

Ryan
It's a Pumpkin Ale. I don't normally secondary, but I have been concerned about clarity in my brews and I wanted to see if it could have an effect.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
slipperypick
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Denver 'burbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post
This^^^^^.

If you have the means to do so, you can clarify the beer nicely (without a secondary) by cold crashing it in the primary 5 days at 35-40*F prior to bottling/kegging.
Clarity IS what I'm hoping to achieve... But I don't have any method of cold crashing, unfortunately.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:02 AM   #8
eastoak
Recipes 

Jan 2011
oakland, california
Liked 159 Times on 149 Posts

give it more time and it will clear, moving it will kind of reset the clock on clearing since all the stuff that is settling out will get stirred up in the secondary.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:50 AM   #9
marvaden
Recipes 

Jun 2013
Kansas City, Kansas
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Also, you can just move your carboy (or bucket) into a tub of ice water for at least a day before you rack it to the bottling bucket or keg. It's what I do and it works decently well.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
millsbrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

May 2013
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Trying to revive an old thread instead of creating a new one. Is there a recommended way to purge with Co2? I have a keezer, but all my air lines have ball-locks on them. Can I simply just open up the valve and remove the airlock from the carboy? Is it really that simple? Thanks in advance.