Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Austin Homebrew - Difference between "Gold Seal" Extract Kits and others

Old 10-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #21
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Huh...never knew that. I just use that yeast nutrient stuff that looks like sea salt. Is that yeast hulls?

I'd be curious to know how they separate the outer shells from the dead yeast...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-30-2007, 01:47 PM   #22
El_Borracho
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew
No. It is not simply corn sugar. Who told you that? Just curious.

It is a different type of corn sugar with a very high maltose and glucose content. You will not acheive the same results just using corn sugar.
Maltodextrin, or a is it your own blend? Just wondering really.. I use dextrose for a lot of things, not for brewing..

Old 10-30-2007, 03:16 PM   #23
bayoubabsy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew
Thanks for the suggestion. It was very hard to come up with a name that wasn't already taken. I think I just need more info on the kits.

Yeast hulls are the outer shells of dead yeast that act as a yeast nutrient. Servomyces is a popular form of yeast hulls infused with zinc.
I just want to say that I love your store! I live in TX, but not within easy driving distance of Austin. I do live close enough to drive to a LHBS but I'd rather pay the $6.99 shipping because your kits are put together so well. Plus, I always receive my order the day after you ship it.

I was a little concerned about purchasing from you at first because you are in-state, and I thought I'd be fully taxed on everything. But from the orders I have received, it looks like all ingredients are considered "grocery" so they don't get the 8.25% tax. Am I correct?

Old 10-30-2007, 04:32 PM   #24
Austinhomebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Huh...never knew that. I just use that yeast nutrient stuff that looks like sea salt. Is that yeast hulls?

I'd be curious to know how they separate the outer shells from the dead yeast...
The yeast nutrient you are referring to is Diamonium Phosphate. It is a chemical that is one type of yeast nutrient.

Yeast Hull are tan colored powder. I am not sure how they remove the carcass but it works better than Diamonium Phosphate.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:34 PM   #25
Austinhomebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Borracho
Maltodextrin, or a is it your own blend? Just wondering really.. I use dextrose for a lot of things, not for brewing..
There is a difference between Maltodextrin (not fermentable, used to add body only) and a high maltose corn sugar (extremely fermentable and concentrated, used to add alcohol only).

Old 10-30-2007, 04:35 PM   #26
Austinhomebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubabsy
I just want to say that I love your store! I live in TX, but not within easy driving distance of Austin. I do live close enough to drive to a LHBS but I'd rather pay the $6.99 shipping because your kits are put together so well. Plus, I always receive my order the day after you ship it.

I was a little concerned about purchasing from you at first because you are in-state, and I thought I'd be fully taxed on everything. But from the orders I have received, it looks like all ingredients are considered "grocery" so they don't get the 8.25% tax. Am I correct?

Thanks for the props, spread the word. You are correct on the tax issue.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:19 PM   #27
brewitnow

Recipes 

Yeast hulls are removed from the yeast with a "Yeast Gin". In 1890, Jebodiah Brewton patented his yeast gin, and it could be seen in production use on the sprawling yeast farms of the great plains states. Unfortunately, during the 1930's the U.S suffered through the "Husk Bowl" period, with many crops damaged irreparably by the swirling storms of yeast hulls, or "husks", and the yeast gin fell into disuse
Secondary: also empty
Conditioning: Eurotrash ale
Drinking: Simi Cider; Home Rule Hefe
Coming Attractions: DC High Property Tax Bitter; Old Throbbinghead

Old 10-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #28
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewitnow
Yeast hulls are removed from the yeast with a "Yeast Gin". In 1890, Jebodiah Brewton patented his yeast gin, and it could be seen in production use on the sprawling yeast farms of the great plains states. Unfortunately, during the 1930's the U.S suffered through the "Husk Bowl" period, with many crops damaged irreparably by the swirling storms of yeast hulls, or "husks", and the yeast gin fell into disuse
My great grandma used to be a yeast farmer. They used to call her house "Hull House".
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:28 AM   #29
tgrier

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

FWIW ... I live in Austin and go to AHS weekly... and those guys rock. Helpful and fairly priced. That is where I get all of my gear. They have some recipes that are not on the web site that rock as well.

Great people.

T
Brewing in Texas