mid-fermentation agitation - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > mid-fermentation agitation

Old 10-29-2007, 09:37 PM   #1
Apr 2007
Long Island, NY

This past friday I brewed a Northern Brewer ESB. The description of the yeast, Wyeast #1968 London ESB, says that "This strain is so flocculant that additional aeration and agitation is needed."

I was wondering if there is a particular way to go about doing this, as of right now I am picking up the ale pale and shaking the crap out of it. Is there a more dignified way to get the job done, or am I doing alright?

Also, I am plan on putting it in secondary, with this being a highly floculant yeast, should I worry about having enough in suspension for bottle conditioning?

Primary 1: NB ESB
Primary 2: NB Dry Irish Stout
Drinking : Apfelwein, and a Honey Wheat.

Medic: Young man, you've ingested a dangerous amount of alcohol!
Homer: The only dangerous amount is none!

Old 10-30-2007, 04:55 AM   #2
Jan 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Liked 181 Times on 51 Posts

It sounds like you are doing more than gently agitating the beer. Shaking the crap out of it is probably too much. It doesn't take much to get the yeast back into suspension, and it is best if you can leave the trub solids that have settled at the bottom of the fermenter as much as possible.

If you leave your beer in the secondary for a really long time (i.e., > 2 months) then you may have problems with carbonation. People here have mixed success, so YMMV, but generally speaking you don't need to add additional yeast at bottling if you spend 6 weeks or less in the secondary. If you are worried, you can always gently stir up a bit of yeast off the bottom of the fermenter when you rack to your bottling bucket.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:05 AM   #3
Dec 2006
Santa Clarita, SoCal
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

You want to stay away from aerating your beer while fermenting. As long as it is still fermenting and is not done (per hydro reading), it does not even need to be agitated. If it needs a kick start, sanitize a long spoon and gently stir (not aerate) it up until you have a swril. That'll do it.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
Apr 2007
Philadelphia, PA

A swirl will do. This is also good practice with hefeweizen and witbier yeasts, FYI.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 153 Times on 144 Posts

All I do is swirl the bucket, without opening it, until the cake breaks up. Since the head space is full of CO2, no danger of aerating the beer. If you can actually shake the fermenter, great. Everything will settle out eventually.

I have in one or two cases, opened the bucket and stirred gently.

Another alternative would be to add a dry high attenuation yeast when the ESB yeast flocculates. Since most of the fermentation is done, a neutral yeast won't change the flavors and it will give you plenty of carbonation later.
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk