Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Live and Let Rye

Old 09-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
JayDubWill
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default Live and Let Rye

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565)
Yeast Starter: Optional
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: None
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.014
IBU: 44
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 8.3
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10
Additional Fermentation: None
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7
Tasting Notes: Malt sweetnes from the crystal overtaken quickly by rye with hints of citrus.

At six months in the bottle this is a fantastic beer, competition level good. Being a pale ale, it isn't overpowering and is on par or better than anything commercial I've tried.

A: Golden amber with an off white creamy head. Tight bubbles, impressive lacing.
S: Fresh tangerines with a hint of pine and grass.
T: Malt and slight sweetness from the crystal overtaken quickly by rye with hints of citrus and grass. Finish is more rye followed by a citrus splash that's fantastic and a pleasant bitterness that lingers a bit.
M: Medium body creaminess, slightly dry.
O: If you like something a little out of the ordinary give this a try. At a month in the keg this was a good beer. I got very positive feedback from my friends and a couple strangers at a party who tried it, but at six months in the bottle it's a much more refined beer. If your looking for a beer to bottle and put away for a rainy day this is it. Only changes I would make to the recipe is to maybe increase the grains to give me a higher ABV since it will be sitting so long anyways.

Recipe: Rye Pale Ale
Brewer: JayDubWill
Style: American Rye Ale
TYPE: All Grain

A: Golden amber with an off white creamy head. Tight bubbles, impressive lacing.
S: Smells like fresh tangerines with a hint of pine and grass.
T: Malt and slight sweetnes from the crystal overtaken quickly by rye with hints of citrus and grass. Finish is more rye followed by a citrus splash thats fantastic and a pleasent bitterness that lingers a bit.
M: medium body creaminess, slightly dry.
O: If you like something a little out of the ordinary give this a try. At a month in the keg this was an ok beer. I got great feedback from my friends and a couple strangers at a party who tried it, but at six months in the bottle it's a much more refined beer.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.08 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.58 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.12 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 7.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 42.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.0 %
2 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 20.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.0 %
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5.0 %
0.66 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 32.5 IBUs
0.33 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5.3 IBUs
0.33 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 2.5 IBUs
0.33 oz Centennial [10.00 %]-Boil 5.0 min Hop 2.5 IBUs
0.33 oz Centennial [10.00 %]-Boil 0.0 min Hop 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) [124.21 Yeast
0.34 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 0.0 IBUs
0.34 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 0.0 IBUs
0.34 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 12.50 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.12gal, 3.04gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 10-18-2013, 02:21 AM   #2
Speedbird
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the recipe I'm definitely gonna try this! 2 questions: is the 7 days listed as the dry hop: Is that 7 days after sitting in the primary? I've done a black IPA that told me to dry hop when i siphoned it to the secondary which was at about 7 days into the ferment period too. Plus did you do a yeast starter? Like 2L yeast starter or just dump the package into the primary?

Old 10-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
JayDubWill
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 52

For ale's I don't normally secondary, I just toss the hops in after primary fermentation is over usually at the 1 week mark and let it seek another week. Optionally if you want a three week or longer primary add the hops in the last week. If you normally do a secondary I would add the hops at that point, again during the last week of the secondary. If you can cold crash for 2~3 days before bottling/kegging it will really help drop the hops/yeast/proteins out of suspension and improve clarity.

As far as starters go, I normally do use a starter. Especially if I'm re-pitching washed yeast which I did in this beer. I usually start my starter 2 days prior in 1 cup of DME boiled in 4 cups of water that has cooled to room temp. This gets you roughly a S.G. of 1.040. I use a 1.75 liter wine bottle and just swirl it ever time I walk by. Eventually I'll get a stir plate and 2 liter Erlenmeyer flask. On brew day I'll stick it in the fridge for 4~5 hours then decant most of the liquid off before letting it sit an hour to get back closer to room temp.

hope this helps, happy brewing!