Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chocolate Milk Stout recipe suggestions

Old 09-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
ashman372
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chocolate Milk Stout recipe suggestions

Hello there, I'm relatively new to the homebrew scene but I've jumped right in. I want to try a partial mash recipe as I don't quite have the necessary setup for an all-grain batch right now. I'm looking to make a chocolate milk stout, with more than a hint of chocolate flavor and the lactose added.

Anyway, here's what I'm thinking after doing some research, I didn't find a recipe that I liked so I compared several and came up with this. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Grains:

1 lb crystal malt 80-120
.75 lb chocolate malt
1 lb roasted barley
.25 lb black patent

Extracts:

7 lbs light lme (or dme, open to suggestions)

Hops:

1-2 oz cascade (open to suggestions here too, want an IBU between 20-30)

Extras:

1 lb lactose
6 oz chocolate bar, wanting to use 2 77% Chocolove bars (or cocoa powder)

Thinking a 60 minute boil with half the hops at boil and the other half as finishing, with the lactose and chocolate added between 30 and 15 left. I want to slowly dissolve the chocolate so it doesn't burn on the bottom. I also want it to be 6-7% ABV so I am also looking for some suggestions as to adjusting the extracts. I also chose Chocolove because this is a favorite of my girlfriend who I am attempting this beer for, and also because it has a short list of ingredients, 4 to be exact. As I said earlier, any suggestions would be appreciated!