Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Whoops, forgot to areate
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
abefroman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 42
Likes Given: 1

Default Whoops, forgot to areate

Whoops, I forgot to areate when I added the yeast.

It still seems to be fermenting though.

What affect is this going to have on the wine?


abefroman is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Medford, WI
Posts: 5,684
Liked 893 Times on 756 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Default

I never made wine so I looked at some kit instructions. Other than thoroughly mixing the must, there was no mention of aeration. Yeast gets sprinkled on top and fermentor sealed.

One video showed a wine whip being used to mix all the ingredients. Other instructions were for mixing with a paddle.

You may be okay.

What kit did you use? I'm curious about the procedure now.

Check this link http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/aerating-must-214748/


flars is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
steveoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Adirondacks, New York
Posts: 97
Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

I'm speaking as a brewer, not a wine maker.

If you used dry yeast, it is probably less of an issue than it would be using liquid or reused yeast. I've seen manufacturer information stating it is not necessary, and I've seen information stating that it is a good idea as it mixes the yeast.

I aerate it anyway with pure oxygen, then schlep (mixing) it up the hill from my bakery where I brew to my house where it ferments.
steveoc is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
wailingguitar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florence, Alabama
Posts: 1,656
Liked 114 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Default

Right, if we are talking about beer and dry yeast, the drying process introduces sufficient lipids to make it possible to bypass the need for aeration... basically, the oxygen introduced during aeration allow the yeast to create the lipids they need to grow properly... if the lipids are already there, aeration is superfluous. I still aerate for the sake of consistency of process, but it really isn't necessary. However, if you harvest that yeast for a future brew, the supply of lipids will have been depleted and you will need to aerate the wort.
__________________
"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin
wailingguitar is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
dgr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sac of California, CA
Posts: 279
Liked 64 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

If we're talking about wine, a lot of people aerate their wine every day during the first 1/2 or 2/3 of fermentation. You should go poke around the wine sections as there is a ton of great info in there.
dgr is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
abefroman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 42
Likes Given: 1

Default

Sorry I meant beer not wine.

I used liquid Wyeast.
abefroman is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Medford, WI
Posts: 5,684
Liked 893 Times on 756 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abefroman View Post
Sorry I meant beer not wine.

I used liquid Wyeast.
I was wondering why you weren't in the wine section. I was going to be nice and not ask. You probably know this, but it is almost 99% necessary to take the special step of aerating the wort when using liquid yeast to get full attenuation. The other 1% is by adding the top off water may you may have aerated the wort sufficiently for the yeast to do their work.

You can worry a bit, no such thing as total relaxation, but your beer is likely to turn out okay since it is fermenting.


flars is offline
abefroman Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whoops, forgot Irish Moss sherma All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 02-18-2013 06:40 PM
Immersion/stick blender to areate wort crushingblackdoom Bottling/Kegging 10 06-16-2012 01:09 AM
Whoops, forgot the whirlfloc tab Sippin37 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 02-23-2012 06:31 PM
Whoops! Forgot to Bottle After Adding Priming Yeast to Secondary makisupa Bottling/Kegging 1 11-10-2011 05:53 PM
Do you areate your big beers a second time? permo Fermentation & Yeast 3 08-23-2010 02:33 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS