Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What to use temp controller for first
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
moscoeb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond, KY
Posts: 429
Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts

Default

So I just bought and received a temp controller, and I also have a small square chest freezer free.
I'm wondering if I should:
1) do a fermentation chamber
I ferment in the basement and stay right around 68-70 degrees year round. What temp is best for a ferm chamber.
2) do lagering chamber
Never tried lagers, am interested but not dying to try them either
3) do a cold crash chamber
Beer turns out pretty clear as is most of the time anyways.

I'm thinking fermentation chamber to make my brew better. But just wanted some more advice.


moscoeb is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Teromous's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 2,899
Liked 521 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Default

You can use the same setup for all three. It's all a matter of changing the temperature. The first thing I did was make a lager.


Teromous is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Trail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Trail's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Colchester, Vermont
Posts: 639
Liked 54 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Default

Yep. Wire up a cheap temp controller and you will be able to ferment any style of beer you want. Search the forum for a STC-1000 build.
__________________
Kegged: Air
Bottled: Nada
Primary: Honey Steam Pilsner (Two years and counting :/)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The first step is locating a cheap pasta maker. Are you married? If so you probably got one as a wedding present.
Trail is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:13 AM   #4
moscoeb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond, KY
Posts: 429
Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts

Default

I'll have to research lagering more. Cold crash down around 35, right? And ferment around 65?
moscoeb is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Solway, MN
Posts: 8,213
Liked 1160 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 609

Default

The first use I would have for that controller is a fermentation chamber. Brew your ale at 60 to 62 instead of your basement temperature (for the first week) and see if your flavor improves. You only need that fermentation temperature for about a week so pull the fermenter out after that to let the yeast do the cleanup at your basement temperature. You can start another batch while the first one completes its ferment, then pull it out too. Put the first one back in for a cold crash if you want, then do the second one when it is done. Lots of options with that controller.
RM-MN is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
IslandLizard's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pasadena, MD
Posts: 4,753
Liked 660 Times on 580 Posts
Likes Given: 1828

Default

This ^

Plus fermenting lagers and the subsequent lagering period takes such a long time it will hog your freezer for months. First build a reserve of some tasty ales that will hold you over for when you decide to do lagers. Or get another chest dedicated to lager fermentation/lagering. You could probably do 4 to 6 different lagers all at the same time in an STC-1000 temp controlled freezer chest. Then after 3 months you got a nice large batch of lagers.
IslandLizard is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
moscoeb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond, KY
Posts: 429
Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts

Default

Awesome, thanks. That's the kind of ideas and thinking I needed!
Getting excited about seeing how much my beers improve. I have noticed a difference just by moving them to a cooler part of the basement, can't wait to try this.
moscoeb is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
eltorrente
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: baltimore, md
Posts: 494
Liked 62 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

You'll get the best results by fermenting your ale at slowly increasing temperatures.

I tape the temperature probe to the side of the carboy, then tape a piece of cardboard over the top of that, to ensure that it's not being affected too much by the air surrounding the carboy.

I usually pitch the yeast at 62 degs, then I raise the temperature 1 degree every 12 hours. I do this until I hit 68 degrees, then I pull it out and let it finish at room temperature - for the diacetyl rest.

Yeast produces diacetyl mostly in the beginning of the fermentation, so keeping initial temps low will minimize its production, then by slowly raising the temp, you keep the fermentation active - then eventually it will eat the diacetyl as it warms up. I do this method and my beer comes out tasting super clean and zero off-flavors.

The most critical time for low temperature is during the first 24 hours or so of fermentation. It is always better to wait to pitch your yeast until the temperature has dropped - as opposed to getting impatient/worried and pitch it when it's still warm.
eltorrente is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Teromous's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 2,899
Liked 521 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscoeb View Post
I'll have to research lagering more. Cold crash down around 35, right? And ferment around 65?
When I did my first lager I utilized How to Brew chapter 10. It's a good starting point, but there's countless threads and podcasts about it as well. You do tie up your resources doing a lager, but it's fun to do one just for the simple fact that it's not another ale. It's also cool because you're learning a lot of new techniques and the fermentation is a different experience.
Teromous is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
moscoeb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond, KY
Posts: 429
Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltorrente
You'll get the best results by fermenting your ale at slowly increasing temperatures.

I tape the temperature probe to the side of the carboy, then tape a piece of cardboard over the top of that, to ensure that it's not being affected too much by the air surrounding the carboy.

I usually pitch the yeast at 62 degs, then I raise the temperature 1 degree every 12 hours. I do this until I hit 68 degrees, then I pull it out and let it finish at room temperature - for the diacetyl rest.

Yeast produces diacetyl mostly in the beginning of the fermentation, so keeping initial temps low will minimize its production, then by slowly raising the temp, you keep the fermentation active - then eventually it will eat the diacetyl as it warms up. I do this method and my beer comes out tasting super clean and zero off-flavors.

The most critical time for low temperature is during the first 24 hours or so of fermentation. It is always better to wait to pitch your yeast until the temperature has dropped - as opposed to getting impatient/worried and pitch it when it's still warm.
Great advice. I'll try that. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teromous

When I did my first lager I utilized How to Brew chapter 10. It's a good starting point, but there's countless threads and podcasts about it as well. You do tie up your resources doing a lager, but it's fun to do one just for the simple fact that it's not another ale. It's also cool because you're learning a lot of new techniques and the fermentation is a different experience.
Thanks, I'll look that over.


moscoeb is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bucket water heater hooked to a digital temp. controller to control mash temp? castillo83 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 01-30-2013 05:42 PM
For Sale - Ogden ETR-9090 PID controller set up as temp controller BoundForBeer For Sale 1 10-06-2012 03:06 PM
For Sale - WTB: temp controller stc-1000 aquarium eBay controller JRems For Sale 10 05-16-2012 12:14 PM
Attic Fan Temp Controller = Inexpensive Fermentation Controller???? Beernip General Techniques 5 06-16-2009 04:30 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS