Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > adding gypsum to bottling bucket?
Old 09-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 91

My main reason to wanting to add the salts is to enhance the hops. This is a VERY hoped beer. Its the fresh squeeze IPA in the recipe section, and it has a lot of hops. My water is in ppm

Usually I'll add 4grams gypsum,4grams calcium chloride to mash.
4grams gypsum, 4grams calcium chloride to boil. How much should I add to bottling bucket? And should I per say leave one out over the other?

Old 09-07-2013, 02:59 AM   #12
Liked 1092 Times on 854 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I'd take some of the beer, flat though it be, put it in a glass, chill it and add both salts incrementally as you taste. When the taste is what you want scale to the volume in the bottling bucket and add.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
Liked 403 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 30

That is a darn nice water. The beer should be fine although the flavor may be a little bland. I guess you could do it the way AJ recommends. I find that its difficult to assess beer flavor in an undercarbonated sample and think they are always too sweet. That could push you to add too much mineral content to the beer. I suggest that performing the test above on the carbonated beer may be more informative.

Either way, I expect that your beer will be fine. The low ionic level just means that the beer may not have the pop that you want. Performing the test with mineral additions will help guide you when you brew the next version.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water