Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > homw much hotside aeration is too much?

Old 09-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #1
nolabrew85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default homw much hotside aeration is too much?

I cannot recirculate the mash or without at least a few inches of foam forming in the tube at first. sometimes I can successfully drain it before it it gets back in the pot, but sometimes the pump is too quick. I prime the pump and everything, but still get this. So first, is this little bit of aeration something that will ruin the beer or will it even be noticeable? and Second, how do stop from this happening without putting a bleeder on the pump--a have a valve on the outlet now and the outlet faces up and the inlet down and the pump is about 14 inches below the kettle and I prime and make sure air escapes before shutting the valve and turning the pump on and then opening the valve. thanks!

Old 09-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
prandlesc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's not an issue. That little bit of air will not change your wort at all.

In The Barrel: [I] Russian Imperial Stout[/B]
Next Brews: Maple Pecan Nut Brown Ale

Old 09-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
Matt3989
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hot side aeration (while it can and will occur to homebrewers, it's on such a small scale that it's mostly a null issue).

Breweries need to worry about it more so than us because to sparge and drain their mash tun into the brew kettle it takes a few hours, and then again draining the kettle into the whirlpool and from the whirlpool to knockout. At that point you're talking about a few bbls of hot wort being exposed to oxygen for a few hours rather than the hour of sparging and before the boil (boiling scrubs most of the oxygen out). And then the half hour it takes us to cool out wort down after the boil (at which point we want oxygen in the wort).

Old 09-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #4
eltorrente
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Hot side aeration isn't even a factor at all. Don't worry about it, and don't believe the hype.