Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Sam Adams Long Shot

Old 10-29-2007, 03:13 AM   #1
Beerrific
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Sam Adams Long Shot

I listen to the Brewing Network podcast on my drive to/from work, I am a little behind on their coverage of the GABF since my drive isn't that long.

They announced the winners of the second Sam Adams Long Shot competition. One of the winners is Mike McDole, an occasional guest on the Brewing Network. His beer is essentially a clone of Russian River's Pliny the Elder (recipe here). I have had this beer once, good stuff. Kind of excited to try out the offering from SA.

The other winner was a weizenbock and the winner of the internal competition was a grape ale (grape ales are being discussed here).

I really think the Long Shot is a great competition and really shows how Jim Koch is dedicated to bringing great craft beer to America.

BTW, Here is the press release of the finalists: http://www.samueladams.com/promotion...t/winners.aspx

Old 10-29-2007, 04:16 AM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 451 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 109

McDole was on this week's podcast. They were ripping on the grape ale a bit, which made me LOL. Apparently, the (female) brewer's high cutie-quotient may have influenced the voting a little bit...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Jazz hands!

Old 10-29-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I found it pretty interesting that two of the winners brews were clones of other commercial beers. Joe Six Pack (a phily area beer writer) has a good blurb on the whole shebang in his 10/26/2007 column:

http://www.joesixpack.net/currentColumn.htm

Old 10-29-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l
I found it pretty interesting that two of the winners brews were clones of other commercial beers. Joe Six Pack (a phily area beer writer) has a good blurb on the whole shebang in his 10/26/2007 column:

http://www.joesixpack.net/currentColumn.htm
I thought that was funny too. I thought, "My first taste of Pliny could be from Sam Adams?" I think there is a reason they(RR) don't bottle it though, aroma suffers? In the interview(BBR.com) the grape ale woman didn't say the type of grape she used - which is like saying, "I used grain in my beer" - doesn't tell us much. If they were concord grape its going to taste like grape jelly.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:38 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 451 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney
I thought that was funny too. I thought, "My first taste of Pliny could be from Sam Adams?" I think there is a reason they(RR) don't bottle it though, aroma suffers? In the interview(BBR.com) the grape ale woman didn't say the type of grape she used - which is like saying, "I used grain in my beer" - doesn't tell us much. If they were concord grape its going to taste like grape jelly.
There are rumors that RR is going to start bottling Pliny, and that their distrution is about to get bumped up (MA is supposedly next on the list!!!! ). Pretty sure they've got a new facility on the East Coast somewhere that Vinnie's getting online soon.

I hadn't picked up that McDole's recipe was a Pliny clone; can they DO that? Can they pay him good money for what's effectively Vinnie's recipe (especially since Vinnie's been so open with the homebrew community about how to brew Pliny)?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Jazz hands!

Old 10-29-2007, 03:50 PM   #6
brewt00l
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
There are rumors that RR is going to start bottling Pliny, and that their distrution is about to get bumped up (MA is supposedly next on the list!!!! ). Pretty sure they've got a new facility on the East Coast somewhere that Vinnie's getting online soon.
IIRC that info comes straight from Vinny. MA distribution was described as "likely" but nothing written in stone.

RR bought one of DFH's brewhouses and shipped it out to their location, nothing is being brewed on the east coast from what I have read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I hadn't picked up that McDole's recipe was a Pliny clone; can they DO that? Can they pay him good money for what's effectively Vinnie's recipe (especially since Vinnie's been so open with the homebrew community about how to brew Pliny)?
I would hope that a call was placed to Vinny before deciding to move forward out of courtesy...

Old 11-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #7
Yaboosh
Recipes 

It isn't exactly the recipe that Vinnie has shared, McDole tweaked it for his own tastes/process, so it is more of a Pliny-inspired beer than a straight forward clone. I am sure Vinnie is quite happy for him and is not very threatened by Sam Adams short run of a beer that could be slightly similar to his famous Pliny.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:18 PM   #8
brewt00l
Recipes 

perhaps....perhaps not

McDole's Double IPA is aimed at Russian River's Pliny the Elder.
"According to Vinnie [Cilurzo, Russian River's owner], I nailed it," McDole said.

http://www.joesixpack.net/columnArch...007/102607.htm

Old 11-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #9
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yeah, it was my understanding that it is the same except he added a bit of Northern Brewer at 15mins. I think it will be more than slightly similar.

http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/...NB_Kicker.html

Old 11-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #10
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

I don't know - it seems a little lame to me to enter a clone in that contest. It's not really YOUR recipe, which is what Long Shot is supposed to be about. I'd expect that from more novice brewers, but not from an experienced person.