Sept 2013 New England Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyirishman34

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The order is CLOSED

This buy is open to everyone and the pickup location will be in Taunton, Ma about 10 minutes off Rt 495

See the signup sheet here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhSLQbVFAE0wdEZMbzQtMFBSYWlld3RuZWFSN2Ytb2c&usp=sharing..Then PM your requests to me and I will add them to the sheet. This is because a very few people have been fooling with the sheet and we want to keep things straight.

1. Need 84 sacks to order. Additional pallets can be added if there is demand for them in increments of 42 Sacks.

2. People will have to come and pick up their bags at the drop off location on a specific date and time after the order has been received. This will most likely be a Saturday morning (10am-12pm) following arrival of shipment. Volunteers would be appreciated to help sort and split grain s about an hour prior to pickup depending on the size of the order. All orders will be sorted prior to any being released.

3. We are only going to order one type of Pale Malt and one Type of 2 Row malt. They will be CM-2ROW and CM-PALE. If you add any other type of Pale or 2 Row malt it will be changed to CM-PALE or CM-2ROW. For the folks that want organic I am going to add GW-O2RP. Also I would rather just have one MOPA ordered if you could only order TF-MOPA that would be great.

4.The pricing on the spreadsheet is an approximation but will be close to actual.

We buy directly through NCM - this means that we will get true wholesale bulk pricing!
~$30 2Row + shipping (~$5.50)
~$40 Marris Otter + shipping (~$5.50)

To see the catalog, go
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxSLQbVFAE0wOUNBUjFOd2pnQ2c/edit?usp=sharing

Pricing (Use 4000#+ pricing)
Pricing on the spread sheet is an estimate. Plan for $5.50 per bag for shipping cost and (no tax) on your portion of the order. The prices should be pretty darn close but may vary slightly.

The pricing on this sheet has carried over from the last group buy and some may not be accurate. It would also be helpful if someone would verify the price per Lb and sack weight is accurate. Please let me know about any corrections needed and I will take care of it.

Cleaning Chemicals carry an additional HAZMAT surcharge and this cost will be spread out over all the chemical purchases. The first order entered on the sheet will see this entire charge added but as more chemical purchases are added it will automatically be adjusted.

I just added a bag of CM-2ROW and TF-MOPA. Might look into a few specialty splits as well. Thanks for putting this together.

I did take the PayPal gifts but the problem with that is they monitor your account and I was warned that I would loose my account if I continued to use the gift option to have people paying for goods. That is why I think amazon payments is the way to go. It is just as easy to deal with as PayPal and they don't charge fees if you fund with a bank account.

Hey all someone added a bag of CM-PALE to the sheet under New Buyer 6. If you want the bag you need to put your HBT handle in the top box. If it isn't fixed by this time tomorrow I am going to erase it.

Just wanna subscribe to follow this. I am interested and am looking for someone that lives closer to me that could pick up my stuff and get it back closer. On previous buys, a couple people have indicated (I forget who) could get stuff back to Littleton, NH. I would also be willing to go to White River Jnctn. or Concord area if need be.

Anyone???

hi Brewkinger
I'm most likely going to get involved in this group buy, and I live in Nashua, and wouldn't have a problem picking up your stuff in Taunton. I'm going over my needs right now before signing up.

I still have a lot of grain from the last buy. I can't get full bags of TF-PRL closer, so I'm subscribing.
Donovan and redman thanks for doing this.

HI All,
thanks for putting this together.
I just signed up on the spreadsheet, and added 4 bags.
1 CM-Pale
1 CM-2Row
1 BZ-Pils
1 TF-Pearl

May add some splits and other things, but 4 bags is a good start.

Just wanted to check back in.
It seems that nhwrecker is the closest to me at this point.

Is anyone else getting in on this buy that perhaps lives closer to Northern Vermont (perhaps Littleton, Concord, etc...)?

I would not be surprised if as the buy goes on there will be someone closer. You could put in your order and if you need to bow out there are always folks at the end that want a few bags.

hi Brewkinger
I'm most likely going to get involved in this group buy, and I live in Nashua, and wouldn't have a problem picking up your stuff in Taunton. I'm going over my needs right now before signing up.

I know this wasn't directed towards me, but I wonder if you might consider doing me the same courtesy? Nashua is a heck of a lot easier for me to work out than Taunton.. No hard feelings if you decline.

Pardon my inexperience (only 3 batches into AG), but I'm looking for a Munich Malt ~9SRM. The CM-MUNH is listed as 6-10ASBC, is that the best one, or is there another that folks would recommend?

Thanks!

Also -
Added:
1 CM-2ROW
1 CM-MUNH
.25 5S-PBW50

Thanks for organizing!

I like the BZ-MUNH because is is a German malt. I find that if you want the true flavor of a fest beer you need a German malt. Also doing a decoction mash and a 90 minute boil helps also. Really none of the malts are going to give you a hard number in the catalog. You can enter the batch number into the website to get that hard number.

http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/maltlot.asp

I know this wasn't directed towards me, but I wonder if you might consider doing me the same courtesy? Nashua is a heck of a lot easier for me to work out than Taunton.. No hard feelings if you decline.

Hey Beer G
I can certainly help out. I work in Lexington and Burlington, so I drive through Chelmsford every day.

I like the BZ-MUNH because is is a German malt. I find that if you want the true flavor of a fest beer you need a German malt. Also doing a decoction mash and a 90 minute boil helps also.

Thanks, I've been using it in a red rye ale and an American IPA. Based on your recommendation I've replaced my CM-MUNH with a BZ-DMUN.

Do not add or subtract bags from other peoples columns. Some one added 23 bags to my column. This is not exceptable if it happens again I will look in the past modifications of the sheet and ban the person who did it.

Hey Beer G
I can certainly help out. I work in Lexington and Burlington, so I drive through Chelmsford every day.

Awesome, thanks much, I very much appreciate it. I'm in for 2 bags: TF pearl and CM 2row. I'll make sure you're compensated for your time and trouble. I'll PM you my info so that you have it when the time comes.

BG

EDIT: I saw this thread and wonder - are there any changes to their policies that will impact us? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f173/country-malt-group-432706/

I'm in for 2 sacks of 2 row and 2 sacks of MO. Thanks for putting this together Donovan.

What type of DME do you want? I think that since I changed how the sheet works I need to post it to the sheet.
I prefer the lightest to not affect additions.
BM-5760 Pilsen light 2degrees

I could use a whole bag in experiments and will guarantee it but if anyone wants a quarter bag of DME, PM me.

What happened to a split of crystal 60? I could use at least half a bag. or maybe I'll go for the existing XL 75

Note: The MO from the previous order has been marvelous.

Back