Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Sorghum-Less GF Oatmeal Stout?

Old 09-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Beerbeard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Sorghum-Less GF Oatmeal Stout?

Hello,

So a friend of mine with Celiacs asked me to brew a dark GF beer without sorghum. My initial thought was an oatmeal stout of sorts, but soon after I realized that there really aren't any GF malted oats, so I'm trying to think of other alternatives.

I thought I could simply substitute brown rice syrup for sorghum extract, but after a little research I learned that brown rice syrup is much more fermentable than sorghum, and the beer would be too dry and lack any body if I did this.

I also don't really know how I'd get the 'roasty' taste of a stout without roasted barley... I've seen examples of people using coffee and/or toasting oats/wild rice, such as this recipe:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f240/glu...-stout-165489/

I guess I just wanted to know if such a beer could be made without any sorghum, but with brown rice syrup + a maltodextrin addition for body. (And oats should add some body too, correct?).

Anyone have any experience with trying to avoid using sorghum altogether in a recipe like this?

Old 09-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Dark candi syrup is going to be your best friend. You can totally get into stout territory with D-180 and rice syrup and a couple pounds of toasted buckwheat. Maltodextrin helps. Lightly-toasted oats are good too.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
EvanLouis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

http://www.maltproducts.com/organic.html
These guys sell 5 gal pails of oat extract. They can also fill a rail car if you really need it.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:44 AM   #4
lpsumo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm quite interested in this, please post what you decide to do

Old 09-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Beerbeard
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I totally will, but this project is kind of on the backburner for now unfortunately - I'm working on a bunch of beers for Thanksgiving at the moment.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
gfreebrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanLouis
http://www.maltproducts.com/organic.html These guys sell 5 gal pails of oat extract. They can also fill a rail car if you really need it.
Any idea if that oat extract is truly gluten free? It would be interesting to try it out.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
Beerbeard
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't think it is gluten free, which is the problem - there are no gluten free malted oats that I know of.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
nitton
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Since they redesigned the website, Grouse now lists gluten-free oat malt as an available product. But like the other offerings there are no real details and you have to contact them for pricing, availability, etc.