How was your brew-day this weekend? (10/26-10/28) - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How was your brew-day this weekend? (10/26-10/28)

Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #31
jdoiv's Avatar
Mar 2007
Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,152
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed Friday night. Knocked off work a little early and walked out the the garage with my 4 yo in tow. He helped me get the grains crushed. Mash went fine. Not sure what happened between the begining of the boil and the end.

Starting gravity after the mash was spot on, but gravity after the boil was the same. WTF? I can only guess that I took the reading wrong. I've started using a refractometer for all of my readings and either it got out of whack (the 4 yo was playing with it), or one of my samples was not mixed well.

Second problem came at the end of the boil, but I didn't realize it until everything was in the fermenter. Forgot to add the whirfloc. Oh well, it'll probably be a cloudy. So, I'll have a slightly weaker, cloudy beer in the keg when its all done.

Third problem came when it was time to pitch. I had the batch broken up into two bucket fermenters and pitched a quart of slurry that was saved. Only problem was I pitched 80% of it into one and the other 20% into the other. Oops. Also forgot to aerate.

Checked on it Saturday morning and the bucket that got most of the yeast was going like crazy. The other bucket, nada damn thing. Opened it up, hit with some O2 and added a packet of Safale in. Was up and going later that day.

Was going to brew again on Sunday, but it didn't work out. Everything is measured out and ready to go, so maybe I'll knock it out one night this week. Maybe tonight.
Drinking on the keg: BPA, Brown Ale, Dry Mead, Wee Heavy aged on Oak, CAP
Drinking in the Bottle:

Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:09 PM   #32
Poindexter's Avatar
Oct 2007
interior Alaska
Posts: 1,195
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I did good this w/e, except for I got into my first batch of JAOM only 22 hours after I had pitched it. It was really good, didn't stop at one glass. I have a wee headache Monday AM, and about half the original batch still bubbling under the airlock.

Reply With Quote
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Second brew this weekend brewsmity Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 09-04-2009 12:46 PM
What did you brew this weekend? Benjibbad General Beer Discussion 32 06-03-2009 02:28 AM
My Brew Weekend bashe General Beer Discussion 6 12-15-2008 06:24 AM
What Should I Brew This Weekend? CAlexander Extract Brewing 7 03-29-2007 03:22 PM
Big Brew Weekend El Pistolero General Beer Discussion 19 11-22-2005 05:23 PM

Forum Jump