Brewed Friday night. Knocked off work a little early and walked out the the garage with my 4 yo in tow. He helped me get the grains crushed. Mash went fine. Not sure what happened between the begining of the boil and the end.
Starting gravity after the mash was spot on, but gravity after the boil was the same. WTF? I can only guess that I took the reading wrong. I've started using a refractometer for all of my readings and either it got out of whack (the 4 yo was playing with it), or one of my samples was not mixed well.
Second problem came at the end of the boil, but I didn't realize it until everything was in the fermenter. Forgot to add the whirfloc. Oh well, it'll probably be a cloudy. So, I'll have a slightly weaker, cloudy beer in the keg when its all done.
Third problem came when it was time to pitch. I had the batch broken up into two bucket fermenters and pitched a quart of slurry that was saved. Only problem was I pitched 80% of it into one and the other 20% into the other. Oops. Also forgot to aerate.
Checked on it Saturday morning and the bucket that got most of the yeast was going like crazy. The other bucket, nada damn thing. Opened it up, hit with some O2 and added a packet of Safale in. Was up and going later that day.
Was going to brew again on Sunday, but it didn't work out. Everything is measured out and ready to go, so maybe I'll knock it out one night this week. Maybe tonight.
Drinking on the keg: BPA, Brown Ale, Dry Mead, Wee Heavy aged on Oak, CAP
Drinking in the Bottle: