Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > OK, I couldnt wait and I cheated.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:29 PM   #1
trainfever
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default OK, I couldnt wait and I cheated.

I admit it, I couldn't wait any longer. After 16 days in the fermenter and then 8 days since being bottled, I couldnt wait any longer and had to try a bottle. It was slightly undercarbonated but I'm sure thats because it hasnt finished carbonating. It was also kind of bitter but I have learned here that the bitterness will go away after it ages a few more weeks. The lack of carnonation was no big deal because the wife and I split a bottle and between the both of us, the bottle didnt last very long. Surprisingly, my wife asked for another bottle but since I only put the one bottle in the fridge, there was no more cold ones. Theres now 4 more chilling as I write this.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It sure is hard to wait!

Old 10-28-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
Mustangfreak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, I opened the first bottle of my second batch last night, and it was surprisingly good.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:17 AM   #4
mikeyc
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Im TERRIBLY guilty of this. I keep making excuses for why I need to drink one. I just put one of my O'Fests in the fridge. Its been two weeks in the bottle. So I decided it needed a two week tasting!!! My Stout was in secondary for about 4 weeks, and bottled for about 2 1/2 till it was gone. I need to be more disciplined with my aging!!! but the home brewed beer is so tempting to drink...........

Old 10-29-2007, 02:02 AM   #5
Neomich
Recipes 

I'm guilty of this too. My second batch has been in bottles a week now and I'm trying real hard to not touch it. (Actually, I tried one 3 days after bottling but for purpose of really seeing what a 'green' beer tastes like. Honest)

I've got 5 gallons of Apfelwein going too, it's on week 3. I think once I get that finished and my second batch is ready to drink, it will be easier to let my current batch condition longer. I don't really want to challenge myself and see how fast I can go through 10 gallons anyways.

For me it seems like it just takes a few batches to have enough on hand to allow more time for the next batch. I'm currently sitting on 15 gallons and I still don't think it's enough!

-Frank Zappa

Old 10-29-2007, 02:12 AM   #6
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

I just bottled a tripel today. I won't even try one til Thanksgiving. Most will be consumed post-christmas. Waiting is hard... unless you have other beers to drink. Luckily I have 4 kegs on tap right now that I can drink BREW MORE!

Old 10-29-2007, 02:19 AM   #7
thndrdad
Recipes 

Ive found that in my constantly early sampling, it's sweetness that goes away and not bitter. But that being said I also see a mellowing of all sharp flavors with time. Sixteen days in the fermenter, your doing good. Seven and ten and I'm tasting, thinking about how good it will be.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:20 AM   #8
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 725 Times on 406 Posts
Likes Given: 262

Rule one:

Once your beer is bottled....get on to your next brew to help forget about the first one.

Rule two:

Rule one doesn't always work.

But seriously folks, go buy another batch and get ready for next weekend's brew session.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:19 AM   #9
trainfever
Recipes 

The funniest thing is that I have always been a Bud man. I never drank anything but Budweiser. When my buddies and I would go out drinking on dollar Import night, I would still pay more to drink Bud. If I went out somewhere and they didnt have Bud, then I didnt drink. But now, I have half a case of bud in the fridge and I dont want it. I want my homebrew.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:48 AM   #10
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My first mead had been in primary ferment for all of 22 hours when I pulled my first pint out of it.

It is good to know what is going on at every point in the process.

Why Cornelius kegs rule:

Aprroach starters thoughtfully