Stepping up Brett - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Stepping up Brett

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Ailstock
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 101


I have 2 vials each of WLP644 Brett Trois.

I have put each vial in a 1000ml flask, with a wort of 2 cups of water to 1/2 cup of DME.

They've been in the starters for about 3 days.
My question is what would be the next step to stepping the Brett up enough for a 5 gallon batch for each one?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #2
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Bsquared's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
San Diego
Posts: 1,850
Liked 67 Times on 59 Posts


Typically you want to do steps in 10X increments, depending on the count of the starting material. Brett or Sacc, they behave essentially the same with respect to starter preps. The Vials you get from white labs are intended to be used as secondary fermentations, not primary, so the yeast count in a vial is like 1:10-1:100th what is in a vial ment for primary fermentation (35-100million vs 100-300 billion yeast cells). your best bet would have been to put them in 200ml of media for the first step, then go up to 2000ml.

I'd say your best bet would be to cold crash what you have, then remove the spent media and replace it with 2000ml of fresh if you can, that should get you close to a proper pitching rate, depending on your gravity.

Thunder_Chicken Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:31 AM   #3
Thunder_Chicken
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
The Hinterland of the South Shore, Massachusetts
Posts: 2,100
Liked 659 Times on 461 Posts


Thanks for this information - I just ordered WP644 and will need to do this as well.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
Xpertskir
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Morgantown, Wv
Posts: 2,224
Liked 454 Times on 292 Posts


White Labs says 3-5 days spinning per step, as opposed to the 24-36 hours for sacc.

Also, most say to pitch lager type cell counts for brett only fermentations.

I actually just did this for a wlp644 IPA. Its still bubbling, so can't report on actual results, but all my research led to the preceding.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
Ailstock
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared
Typically you want to do steps in 10X increments, depending on the count of the starting material. Brett or Sacc, they behave essentially the same with respect to starter preps. The Vials you get from white labs are intended to be used as secondary fermentations, not primary, so the yeast count in a vial is like 1:10-1:100th what is in a vial ment for primary fermentation (35-100million vs 100-300 billion yeast cells). your best bet would have been to put them in 200ml of media for the first step, then go up to 2000ml.

I'd say your best bet would be to cold crash what you have, then remove the spent media and replace it with 2000ml of fresh if you can, that should get you close to a proper pitching rate, depending on your gravity.
Well the one I did came out between 200ml-300ml when I made it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2537285263.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	146036  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:27 AM   #6
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Bsquared's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
San Diego
Posts: 1,850
Liked 67 Times on 59 Posts


Oh I see, you should bring those both up to 1000ml with fresh wort, If you have a bigger flask, you might want to use that.

You have a stir plate too right ?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
Ailstock
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared
Oh I see, you should bring those both up to 1000ml with fresh wort, If you have a bigger flask, you might want to use that.

You have a stir plate too right ?
Yeah I do, but only one. I don't wanna use one with it and one not. I'm not brewing till next week so I figured I'd do a slower starter that takes a little longer to step up. I still haven't decided if I'm going to use it for 6 gallon batch split into separate 3 gallons, or use one Brett starter for a 6 gallon batch, and the other for a different 6 gallon batch. If that made any sense.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
Ailstock
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 101

Just re pitched one Brett starter on about 900ml of wort. 2 hours and it looks like this. That normal? Looks healthy. I put it on the strip plate this time.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2496102074.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	146583  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Bsquared's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
San Diego
Posts: 1,850
Liked 67 Times on 59 Posts


Looks happy to me!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
dcp27
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Medford, MA
Posts: 4,125
Liked 125 Times on 121 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailstock View Post
Just re pitched one Brett starter on about 900ml of wort. 2 hours and it looks like this. That normal? Looks healthy. I put it on the strip plate this time.
yes, brux trois has always been very fast to krausen for me

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Repitching Brett from a 100% Brett fermented beer Coff Lambic & Wild Brewing 13 10-01-2015 09:53 PM
Secondary Brett Fermentation - Brett Starter? toman8r Fermentation & Yeast 6 10-14-2014 02:42 PM
Help with recipe for brett pale ale or brett saison TNTgill Lambic & Wild Brewing 14 06-13-2014 08:35 PM
Brett L. fermentation question for 100% Brett L. beer asterix404 Fermentation & Yeast 7 03-17-2011 05:30 PM
stepping up brett c jtakacs Fermentation & Yeast 7 03-16-2011 10:48 PM


Forum Jump