Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > liquid sensor - I've been thinking.........

Old 09-17-2013, 04:10 AM   #11
mdwilson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You could use a liquid level switch just above the heating element ( if you have room between the false bottom and the element).
Like this: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...?itemid=100829

I was thinking about going this route, but right now I'm using a reverse flow setup with a second vessel.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #12
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

OP was talking about recirculating the MLT. Perhaps a mechanical float switch would gunk up with grain and get sticky from wort.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #13
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 252 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamcle View Post
If I recirculate through a grain bed, in at the top, out at the bottom, through the pump and back in at the top a simple closed loop.

If the flow through the bed was too slow then the pump would suck all the wort from under the grain be and could be damaged....
If that is happening then air has to be is getting in somewhere, as it should be impossible to do otherwise.

I do the same thing as you and it' impossible to suck wort from under the MLT false bottom without new wort being introduced from above the false bottom.

So the only two possibilities should be: Constant flow, or stopped flow (pump is off, or false bottom is clogged).

So before looking for a solution that involves liquid sensors as a bandaid solution, I'd fix the problem at the source.

Or maybe i'm not understanding your setup?

Kal

Old 10-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
If that is happening then air has to be is getting in somewhere, as it should be impossible to do otherwise.

I do the same thing as you and it' impossible to suck wort from under the MLT false bottom without new wort being introduced from above the false bottom.

So the only two possibilities should be: Constant flow, or stopped flow (pump is off, or false bottom is clogged).

So before looking for a solution that involves liquid sensors as a bandaid solution, I'd fix the problem at the source.

Or maybe i'm not understanding your setup?

Kal
There was a thread a few months back about a bent up FB due to a stuck sparge and the pump sucking enough to pull the grain down onto the FB enough to bend it. I think this and cavitating the pump is the main reason for this safety feature. I agree that you would not likely see "air" under the FB but more the FB collapsing/crushing.
Using a grant with a hi/low level switch control of the pump would be the surefire method.
Or a pressure sensor that cuts the pump out if it senses a low pressure under the FB.