DC Group Buy #5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jnr1005: welcome to the group buy! I have a lot of C120 so if you want a pound or more I can hook you up. Also if you want a couple of pounds of C60, I always have some on hand so that should not be a problem either. I have about 3 pounds now and am getting 12.5 with this buy.

UPDATE on C60: So fyrewtr thought the split was on the current Buy #4, not this one. So his 12.5 pounds is up for grabs...

Looks like jnr1005 gets his wish.

Code:
				[B]Bulk Buy: 4- and 5-way splits [FONT="Arial"]*[/FONT][/B]

Name		IslandLizard	stonebrewer	reddskinnfan	  jnr1005	stevedasleeve	funnycreature	Buyer7	Buyer8	Buyer9	Buyer10
[COLOR="Blue"][B]C20 (closed)	   12.5#			   12.5#			   12.5#	   12.5#[/B][/COLOR]
C40		   10#						   10#				   10#
[B][COLOR="Blue"]C60 (closed)	   12.5#	   12.5#	   12.5#	   12.5#[/COLOR][/B]
C80		   10#
C120		   10#
Flaked Wheat	   12.5#	   12.5#
* Blue lines are go (complete and closed).
Amounts shown in Red are provisional until we get a positive confirmation from the respective buyer(s).

==> 2 full bags claimed: C20 and C60 - stonebrewer, please count these in the total so far.

Need 2 more buyers for Flaked Wheat and for C40 to add them to the order list.

jnr1005: welcome to the group buy! I have a lot of C120 so if you want a pound or more I can hook you up. Also if you want a couple of pounds of C60, I always have some on hand so that should not be a problem either. I have about 3 pounds now and am getting 12.5 with this buy.

Thank you! I would love to get 2 lbs of C120 if possible.

Looks like jnr1005 gets his wish.

Need 2 more buyers for Flaked Wheat and C40.

I will be glad to take the 12.5lbs of C60... and I'm a she :D

Is the C40 12.5 lbs? If so, add me to the list and I will take it just to have on hand. Just got started so I'm stocking up on a few things I see in a lot of recipes I want to brew. I convinced my buddies to brew beer since we drink so much craft brew and so far I have brewed 2 batches last weekend, 2 more this!

... and I'm a she :D

Oh sorry, thank you for the correction. :eek:

Is the C40 12.5 lbs? If so, add me to the list and I will take it just to have on hand. Just got started so I'm stocking up on a few things I see in a lot of recipes I want to brew. I convinced my buddies to brew beer since we drink so much craft brew and so far I have brewed 2 batches last weekend, 2 more this!

I started with 10# each on the newly added crystals, hoping a 5-way split would be easy to attain. But if push comes to shove at closing time, we may need to settle for 4-way @12.5 each. I can handle that amount and you can't beat the price. I'll add yours to the list.

Yes, it is good to have some basics in stock. That way you can always brew beer. Keep recruiting brewers! I always like doing 2 batches back to back, but it doesn't always happen.

Stonebrewer, could you check with the supplier on availability and price of C40, C80, and C120 for this buy?

Please add 2 sacks to this buy's order:
1x C20
1x C60

Thanks!

We can and have gotten C40 and C80 at the same price as the C20 and C60. I don't think we can get C120, but again I do have 10 pounds or more that I can make available to anyone that wants a pound or two. I will ask about the C120 but expect a no...might be pleasantly suprised though. C120 is one of those grains like special b that I find a little goes a long way.

We can and have gotten C40 and C80 at the same price as the C20 and C60. I don't think we can get C120, but again I do have 10 pounds or more that I can make available to anyone that wants a pound or two. I will ask about the C120 but expect a no...might be pleasantly suprised though. C120 is one of those grains like special b that I find a little goes a long way.

Ah, forget about the 120 for now then. There are no takers so far. I'll be happy to take 1 or 2 pounds from your stockpile. But if we all do...

Yeah, I know that stuff's potent. Same for Special B, which is like 150°L. For some maltier styles I just like layering these crystals rather than 1.5# of C60/80.

I would also be happy to take 15# of Carapils off you at pick up, Stone. Let me know if that works.

Total for me, if splits work and Stone has some Carapils for me:

3 x Rahr 2-row
1 x Rahr Premium Pils
12.5# C60
15# Carapils

Thanks for adding me to the C20 split. I am also gonna bite the bullet on a full bag of Red Wheat.

That puts me at:

3 x Rahr 2-row
1 x Rahr Premium Pils
1 x Red Wheat
12.5# C60
12.5# C20
15# Carapils

With splits that have closed, I believe we are currently at 21 sacks...

I'm counting 24:
20 from the last tally
Current sack total: 20 sacks - halfway home!
2x jnr1005
1x C20
1x C60.
That does not include the sack of Red Wheat reddskinnfan added.

So, to me it looks we are 25 now. Please correct me if your information is more up-to-date, maybe there were some retractions.

I have the following:
stonebrewer - 2 sacks
jasonvt - 3 sacks
physicist - 2
Pikesville - 1
reddskinn - 4 (now 5)
claphamsa - 3
robfor - 1
stevedasleeve - 1
jnr -2
splits - 2

That's 21 before updating reddskinn to 5 sacks. Current count is 22 unless I am missing something.

I am thinking we might want to do a split on CaraPils as people on Buy #4 have been taking big chunks of the sack I have. So I will add a sack of CaraPils to this order and I will take whatever doesn't get snapped up. Right now I have reddskinn taking 15#, IslandLizard 20#, and funnycreature wants "some". That leaves 15# minus "some".

Just as a reminder on how splits work. Whoever proposes the split, collects money from everyone in the split and pays me. You can split at my house, but PLEASE remember to bring a bucket or sack or something to take your goodies in as I don't keep a lot of bags laying around the house. Paypal works best for splits, and paying me, so please seriously consider it. If you link it to an existing checking or savings account, it is free to gift a friend, which is how you should be doing these transactions. It is the easiest way to do these group buy things.

So with the Carapils split, we are now at 23 sacks.

As we talked about yesterday, IslandLizard and I are taking the flaked wheat split 50/50. If anyone wants some, please let us know and we can add you on. I doubt I need 25 pounds of it, so if others want a few pounds, they can get it at the group buy pickups.

That makes 24 sacks.

I am thinking we might want to do a split on CaraPils as people on Buy #4 have been taking big chunks of the sack I have. So I will add a sack of CaraPils to this order and I will take whatever doesn't get snapped up. Right now I have reddskinn taking 15#, IslandLizard 20#, and funnycreature wants "some". That leaves 15# minus "some".

Just as a reminder on how splits work. Whoever proposes the split, collects money from everyone in the split and pays me. You can split at my house, but PLEASE remember to bring a bucket or sack or something to take your goodies in as I don't keep a lot of bags laying around the house. Paypal works best for splits, and paying me, so please seriously consider it. If you link it to an existing checking or savings account, it is free to gift a friend, which is how you should be doing these transactions. It is the easiest way to do these group buy things.

So with the Carapils split, we are now at 23 sacks.

Can I get 5 lbs of CaraPils if available? Not sure how much "some" is... :)

Hey all - just so you know, the Crisp Maris Otter I picked up yesterday is in fact Crisp Pale ale malt - i.e not Maris Otter. Not sure if this was a random sack or if all the Crisp sacks were their other ale malt.

Not a huge big deal, but irritating. I'll brew with it anyway of course.

Anyone else? Check your labels...

Hey all - just so you know, the Crisp Maris Otter I picked up yesterday is in fact Crisp Pale ale malt - i.e not Maris Otter. Not sure if this was a random sack or if all the Crisp sacks were their other ale malt.

Not a huge big deal, but irritating. I'll brew with it anyway of course.

Anyone else? Check your labels...

Ohhh Noooo!
I did see the label on the back reading "Ale Malt" when I unloaded it, back home, and thought "that's weird," then went on to the beer festival. Never looked back at it.

I hate to bother him but perhaps stonebrewer, or someone else, can contact the supplier and find a way to remedy this?

We paid premium for MO, received Pale, without notification.
Last buy there were a few problems too.

Very irritating.

Pricewise I think they are about the same, but of course the Maris Otter has a "Maris Otter" flavor - which I like a lot! I've not used the Pale Ale malt before.

I still have some MO left from the last buy so I might go ahead and brew the same beer with each to spot the difference.

Either way I don't really think it worth sending it back or making a fuss, I am quite sue the Crisp Pale ale malt is decent, just so we confirm before the next buy that the Crisp malt is MO not their Pale Ale malt.

IMHO and WTF and YMMV etc!

Steve da sleeve

Any chance some of the group is interested in splitting some light dme? I am getting into yeast slants = starters = dme. My local store sells it for $5/lb so I would like to cut the cost, but have no use for 50 lbs of the stuff! I'm not sure if there is even a good way to split dme up, but I figured I would ask...?

So maybe we can get a list going? Do I do that or do you stonebrewer? I would be game for 10-15 lbs depending on if we can get the interest to split it. Sounds like we are up to almost half a bag...anyone else want in on DME for starters?

$5 a pound? Ouch!
I usually get it in 3 lb bags for about $12-13. So yeah, that's close to $5/lb too.

I'll take 10 pounds. Light or extra light is fine.

It can be a bit messy to weight it out, but if we can contain possible spills we should be OK.
I have a large tray in which we can put the scale, if need be. I also have an electronic 11lb scale, which is pretty accurate to 1/10 of an ounce. I can bring that along.

So maybe we can get a list going? Do I do that or do you stonebrewer? I would be game for 10-15 lbs depending on if we can get the interest to split it. Sounds like we are up to almost half a bag...anyone else want in on DME for starters?

I'll be happy to add it to my split list if you want. I can clearly mark the split originator, the buyer responsible for collecting the money, using a color. Or add a column for that.

I've created a Google Doc for the splits. Let's see if that's useful:

I've been editing the spreadsheet and the messages to remove some $ information. Anyone clicking on the link can see the list. Do we need to provide exclusive access? Or are we fine as is?

I'll be happy to add it to my split list if you want. I can clearly mark the split originator, the buyer responsible for collecting the money, using a color. Or add a column for that.

That would be great! From what I can see, we have the following:

jnr1005 10 lbs (I can add 5 more if needed)
redskinfan 10 lbs
funnycreature 4 lbs
islandlizzard 10 lbs

So we are up to 34 lbs spoken for...need 16 more to go! And from what I can see on the list, light DME is available, I did not see extra light. I don't care either way, just want to make all my starters from my slants :mug:

redskinfan 10 lbs
funnycreature 4 lbs
islandlizzard 10 lbs

So we are up to 34 lbs spoken for...need 16 more to go! And from what I can see on the list, light DME is available, I did not see extra light. I don't care either way, just want to make all my starters from my slants :mug:

I could also increase my share if necessary but I'd like to stay <$20 :tank:

redskinfan 10 lbs
funnycreature 4 lbs
islandlizzard 10 lbs

The "extra light" is called Pils DME. If funnycreature takes 8#, plus mine at 10# we are at 38# total. I think we can manage that with one more buyer or split the difference somehow.

The "extra light" is called Pils DME. If funnycreature takes 8#, plus mine at 10# we are at 38# total. I think we can manage that with one more buyer or split the difference somehow.

I'm game. If anyone else has any input on light vs extra light preferrance that's cool. I will take either.

I've created a Google Doc for the splits. Let's see if that's useful:

Notes on the Split List:
If anyone has trouble seeing the spreadsheet, let me know.
If there are any errors, changes, omissions, or you want a piece of the cake, let us know with a message here. We really like to get some more buyers on Flaked Wheat (25 lbs available) and Pils DME (12 lbs available).

Privacy and Public Exposure Issue:
Since the split list is a "shared" document, anyone clicking on the link can see it (no edits). Do we need to provide exclusive access to this group buy participants only, or are we fine as is?

You can bump mine to 15#

I, also, will add C40 if we do 12.5# each in the split. That would close that out.

You can bump mine to 15#

I, also, will add C40 if we do 12.5# each in the split. That would close that out.

I've made your changes to the list, it's really quick. I put you at 10 lbs for C40 for now. It would be nice to have one more 10# buyer for the C40, but I'm inclined to settle for 12.5 each if everyone else agrees when no-one else shows up.

Maybe we can device a "hold" on that C40 bag, so it gets already added to the total order, but remains open for another participant to drop in late. If that doesn't happen, we split at 12.5# each. Duncha love that stuff? [EDIT] OK, I added some explanatory notes.

I'll take the rest of the DME if you are going with Golden Light. If Pils, I would not be interested...I make mainly ales and don't want to confuse my yeast ;):)

I'll take the rest of the DME if you are going with Golden Light. If Pils, I would not be interested...I make mainly ales and don't want to confuse my yeast ;):)

I don't think your yeast would know the difference, if asked. ;) :)

There is not that much difference except:
Pils's FAN is a bit lower, 3700 vs. 4200
Pils's SRM is the lightest, half of that of Golden Light, 2.0°L vs. 4.0°L

Fermentability etc. is all the same

Briess Pilsen Light PDF
Briess Golden Light PDF

Back