Vicadin and beer MMMMM - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Vicadin and beer MMMMM

Old 10-28-2007, 03:11 AM   #1
WormBoy
Chief Bottle Washer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Islip, New York

OK, the 3rd beer is topping off the vicadin and muscle relaxants. THe back is now feeling better. Woo hooo.
Horay for beer

Old 10-28-2007, 03:40 AM   #2
BlindLemonLars
Recipes 

May 2007
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormBoy
OK, the 3rd beer is topping off the vicadin and muscle relaxants. THe back is now feeling better. Woo hooo.
Horay for beer
Man, I wouldn't take too much vicodin with beer. Obviously alcohol greatly intensifies the narcotic effects, but the high acetaminophen content doesn't mix with booze either. Acetaminophen can be VERY hard on the liver, particularly when combined with alcohol.

I don't want to be a buzzkill, but do be careful, eh?

Old 10-28-2007, 03:45 AM   #3
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Aug 2006
People's Republic of Cambridge
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

I had to make the choice between beer and vics this evening and I went with the vics; tomorrow may be a different story since it is a football Sunday. Personally, I would never mix the two; just my 2 cents.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 10-28-2007, 04:25 AM   #4
WormBoy
Chief Bottle Washer

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Islip, New York

actually I only took one vicodin. And I am a large man (236) so it really doesn't effect me much. But thanks for looking out for me fellow HBT'rs.
I have been experiencing some back spasms over the past few days. I guess extra weight and manual labor don't mix well.
Anyway, thanks for the cautionary notes.
I suppose it's about time to retire.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:30 AM   #5
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Aug 2006
People's Republic of Cambridge
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Yeah, I didn't mean to rain on your parade there, but you gotta be careful with mixing pain-killers and alcohol.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 10-28-2007, 05:07 AM   #6
WormBoy
Chief Bottle Washer

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Islip, New York

No probs. I know my body. Actually SWMBO keeps me sober as a judge most times, so rarely do I stray from the path. Thanks for lookin out. Anywho, see you all later.
I love HBT!

Old 10-29-2007, 02:16 AM   #7
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2007
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 694 Times on 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormBoy
And I am a large man (236) so it really doesn't effect me much. .

Not for nuttin' but your liver is probably about the same size as everyone elses. Three tylenols isn't going to put you into any sort of toxic nonograom but there is a reason that pills come with instructions. The prescribed dosages aren't suggestions.

Your statement that you know your body so you know what is an appropriate dosage of medication is a bit absurd. If you know your body well enough to know the metabolic pathways of acetomenophen than you would know not to take more than the recomended dose.

Sorry if I sound a bit pissy here, but I'm getting tired of hearing that particular line from people who've overdosed on OTC meds and end up buying a week long stay in the ICU.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:01 AM   #8
Neomich
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Fort Worth (soon)

Here's my $.02.

Sure, it's a bad idea to mix alcohol with vicodin or any drugs the doc says not to.

However, docs are just people and have to tell you the 'right' thing to do. Most people can and do get away with cheating on this rule all the time. I've had multiple sports injuries and a couple beers made it easier to go to sleep at night.

There is still a genuine risk. I don't doubt what the docs say is true, SWMBO is a doctor and is pretty realistic. She would never suggest a patient do this but she also realizes they do and get away with it. She's not happy if I do it but I'm still alive and my other intrests are a greater risk than that.

It's your body and your call. That's my$.02

-Frank Zappa

Old 10-29-2007, 04:01 AM   #9
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Manor, Tx
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

When I've got the med's I just skip the drink and take two!

Old 10-29-2007, 06:39 AM   #10
ScubaSteve
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2007
New Bern, NC
Liked 83 Times on 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse
Not for nuttin' but your liver is probably about the same size as everyone elses. Three tylenols isn't going to put you into any sort of toxic nonograom but there is a reason that pills come with instructions. The prescribed dosages aren't suggestions.

Your statement that you know your body so you know what is an appropriate dosage of medication is a bit absurd. If you know your body well enough to know the metabolic pathways of acetomenophen than you would know not to take more than the recomended dose.

Sorry if I sound a bit pissy here, but I'm getting tired of hearing that particular line from people who've overdosed on OTC meds and end up buying a week long stay in the ICU.
I'll pick up where you left off Paul I'm an ICU nurse and I probably see a few tylenol overdoses a month. Someone somewhere decided to spread the rumor that you could "off" yourself by taking a bottle of tylenol....but what they failed to mention is that it's a slow and painful death, causing serious liver damage. By the time these people change their mind and decide they want to give living a second chance, they've already dug themselves a grave. We have to ship a lot of these folks out of our ICU because their livers are shutting down and need an expert in the field to save them. Bottom line....you may have been joking, but a lot of seemingly harmless (and overprescribed) drugs can be REALLY dangerous if used the wrong way.

Drugs are baaaad...mkay?