Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Alternative to Avery Mailing Labels

Old 08-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1254 Times on 854 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Default Alternative to Avery Mailing Labels

I have been using Avery labels for my beer bottles. I like what I can do with them in a short period of time. Easy to print (laser color printer), decent quality and I just print and peel. The rub is that they can sometimes be a bugger to get off the bottle. Any ideas of how to replicate the ease of printing and applying, but eliminating (or easing) the difficulty of removing?

Old 08-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
sfrisby
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 264 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I print and apply milk to the back with a basting brush and stick them on. Works perfectly. The trade off is cutting time vs pealing off a sticker. Short soak in oxy and they fall off on their own.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
Ridire

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrisby View Post
I print and apply milk to the back with a basting brush and stick them on. Works perfectly. The trade off is cutting time vs pealing off a sticker. Short soak in oxy and they fall off on their own.
I know about those but that sounds like just as much work on the front end, and I have tried milk and have not been thrilled with the results. I want something self adhesive that isn't impossible to remove. The first time I used mailing labels, they came off fairly easily. The last batch was about 50% easy removal and 50% throw the bottle in the recycle bin because it's not worth the time.

EDIT: but thank you for the suggestion. I am looking at just about all easy alternatives.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Warthaug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A concentrated gelatin solution works better than milk. Its waterproof in cold water, but washes right off in hot. It what I use.

I also had success with that amber-coloured childrens glue; the stuff which comes with a rubber dabber on top. Not as easy to get off as gelatin, but far better than mailing labels.

Bryan

Old 08-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Ridire

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthaug View Post
A concentrated gelatin solution works better than milk. Its waterproof in cold water, but washes right off in hot. It what I use.

I also had success with that amber-coloured childrens glue; the stuff which comes with a rubber dabber on top. Not as easy to get off as gelatin, but far better than mailing labels.

Bryan
I do not want to be cutting paper to size. I want self adhesive, pre-cut, options only. If such a thing does not exist, I'll stick with Avery.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
zeekage
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do you need the whole area provided by the avery labels? When i bottle i use the 3/4" round stickers and put them on the caps. Nothing to clean up that way. I think the 1" ones will fit too but haven't tried them yet. It's enough room i can usually get the beer name/date/abv on there.

http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Removabl...y+labels+round

Old 08-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
Ridire

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekage View Post
Do you need the whole area provided by the avery labels? When i bottle i use the 3/4" round stickers and put them on the caps. Nothing to clean up that way. I think the 1" ones will fit too but haven't tried them yet. It's enough room i can usually get the beer name/date/abv on there.

But I like designing the labels and making them look like a "real beer". I know it is a hassle but I like doing it. Just wish I didn't have to spend so much effort cleaning them off. Honestly, though, I have so many bottles that I guess it isn't that much of a burden to just toss the bottles that don't easily come clean into the recycle bin.
Haxmax Likes This 
Old 08-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Ridire

Recipes 

I guess another idea would be something I could easily put on the bottle before labeling it that would allow for easy removal.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 442 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekage View Post

This is what I use. Removing labels from a bottle once is enough for me.

I brew way too much beer to play the whole pretty label game, Id rather spend my time with other aspects in the hobby.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
stoneBriar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I use the 2x4 avery labels but before sticking them on a bottle I slap them on a damp wash cloth that has a generous helping of dish soap in it. There's still enough stick to keep the label on through condensation and ice coolers but it makes removal with hot water a breeze.