Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Blueberry wine
Old 09-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #21
Ale's What Cures You!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 6395 Times on 4555 Posts
Likes Given: 1743

Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
Uhhhh.... I was a little in over my head when making this I think. I ended up with almost 2 gallons each of my bluberry melomel(Im going to consider it a wine because 1.5 ish pound per gal. of honey may not qualify much for a melomel, plus added sugar to reach my gravity,blackberry wine. I used 4# frozen fruit each, today only 2-3 days of ferment I reached 1.020 gravity, I squeezed out fruit from the pots so I could transfer to my glass carboys I ended up putting all of my blueberry in my 2 1 gal carboys,and my blackberry in my 3 gallon. Almost 2 gallons each for primary strained somewhat loosley.

It smelled kinda farty by the way-during ferment,that normal? Sample now actually tasted really good. Since I ended up more volume, should I encorporate more fruit in each? And how? This montarachet yeast is really going crazy right now. I just dont want a weak fruit flavor or make bad wine since I ended up with more volume- I did get gravitys of 1.088 and 1.09. I would like to puree fruit and rack but dont know if it would settle and it may be hard to add fruit puree in carboys? Should I just leave it? I mean, it takes a year so I just dont want to make poor choices for such a long term thing. And I would like to make a good fruit wine. Oh and I did add 12 oz of frozen grape juice concentrate to each also in the beginning. I was initallly going for a fruit pyment but using organic grape juice concentrate ( probably not comparable to the good wine grapes?) may not be the best approach maybe,not shure about that just yet. Should I consider buying those canned grapewine concentrates at homebrew shops for future wines/pyments? I think I could be ok mashing some grapes(not shure what kind) maybe sometime and getting a good start on the yeast without sulfiting maybe.
It sounds like you have plenty of fruit in there, if I understand you right. I like grape wine concentrates (they have white and red) because they give fullness and richness to the wine, along fermentables.

Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook:
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!