First year for hops, ready to harvest? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > First year for hops, ready to harvest?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
allynlyon
Recipes 
 
Aug 2013
Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 253
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts



Can anyone tell if these are ready to harvest by the picture. I'm new to hop growing and i'm still trying to get a feel for things.


Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (19).jpg
Views:	274
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	144937   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (19) copy.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	144938  

ChefRex Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Stow, MA
Posts: 16,912
Liked 2845 Times on 2132 Posts


I'd say it's too early for those. I would wait at least until the petal tips curl outwards kind of like a dried pine cone...

Cheers!



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:21 AM   #3
ChefRex
I once had a thought,
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
ChefRex's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Woodbridge, NJ
Posts: 10,044
Liked 4341 Times on 2631 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by allynlyon View Post
Can anyone tell if these are ready to harvest by the picture. I'm new to hop growing and i'm still trying to get a feel for things.
Great first post! Interested in the same information. That being said from what i know they should also start to feel
"papery". I have not picked any of mine yet but soon.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post

Oh, shaddup already!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
allynlyon
Recipes 
 
Aug 2013
Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 253
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
I'd say it's too early for those. I would wait at least until the petal tips curl outwards kind of like a dried pine cone...

Cheers!
Thanks! There is so much conflicting information out there that I wasn't sure what I was doing by the time I finished reading.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Pelican521
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
, Connecticut
Posts: 517
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts


I am no expert by any means, being my first year growing as well... But besides feeling papery like tissue paper, they should "spring" back to shape when you squeeze them and not stay compressed at all.

That's what I found when googling, also look through youtube for some hop harvesting videos, I found that helpful.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #6
allynlyon
Recipes 
 
Aug 2013
Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 253
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican521 View Post
I am no expert by any means, being my first year growing as well... But besides feeling papery like tissue paper, they should "spring" back to shape when you squeeze them and not stay compressed at all.

That's what I found when googling, also look through youtube for some hop harvesting videos, I found that helpful.
I had seen that information as well. It's just tough to tell by feel. My zeus has felt "papery" since early on. While my cascade has not. I'm know the different kinds can have different looks and feels so i'm just trying to decide whats what. Thanks for the tips though. I'll try youtube.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:29 AM   #7
FuzzeWuzze
I Love DIY
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
FuzzeWuzze's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Newberg, Oregon
Posts: 3,080
Liked 411 Times on 305 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by allynlyon View Post
I had seen that information as well. It's just tough to tell by feel. My zeus has felt "papery" since early on. While my cascade has not. I'm know the different kinds can have different looks and feels so i'm just trying to decide whats what. Thanks for the tips though. I'll try youtube.
Not all varieties will be the same, for example my Newports were curled out and spikey from the day they flowered. Where as my Columbus and Cascade were tight cones.

The tell tale sign is browning, once they are more or less done the tips of the flower will start browning and you may see some slight brown dots on the hops.

At that point pick em.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are my hops ready to harvest? SMOKEU Hops Growing 5 05-25-2014 11:14 AM
are different hops ready for harvest at different times? vanceromance Hops Growing 6 08-23-2013 11:10 PM
are my hops ready to harvest? (pics) nootay Hops Growing 25 08-18-2010 01:56 PM
Centennial Hops Ready for Harvest?? EricS Hops Growing 4 07-06-2009 06:06 AM
More first year hops - Am I ready to harvest? camiller Hops Growing 10 08-13-2008 02:44 PM


Forum Jump