Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Sour mash

Old 08-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
mikeoholic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Sour mash

Will doing a sour mash take away from your og? I just did a sour mash on a 5gallon batch and my og was low. I've made this recipe a couple times so I have an idea where I should be.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
cluckk
Recipes 

Liked 356 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 47

If it pushed the pH too low it could effect conversion. Not sure how it would impact extraction.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
gregkeller
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've been wondering about this. Theoretically it would affect your OG because the bacteria you are growing are gonna eat something as they grow/multiply right? I have no idea how much they will eat, and if you are supposed to just throw a little extra grain in there to account for it.

I also have no idea if your results would be repeatable as each time you do a sour mash you might get slightly different strains of bugs that have different metabolisms.
Keg #1 - Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2 - Empty :(
Keg #3 - Empty :(
On Deck- session Janet's Brown, 10 gallons of sour, belgian dark strong

Old 08-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
Fuzzymittenbrewing
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1256 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoholic View Post
Will doing a sour mash take away from your og? I just did a sour mash on a 5gallon batch and my og was low. I've made this recipe a couple times so I have an idea where I should be.
Absolutely. The bacteria consumes sugars. I usually boost my grain bill when doing a sour mash to account for it.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
mikeoholic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Makes sense to me. Thanks all. I had a feeling that was the case.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
biertourist
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckk View Post
If it pushed the pH too low it could effect conversion. Not sure how it would impact extraction.
-THIS.

What was your mash ph?

-I would attribute the reduced OG primarily to reduced conversion due to the low PH (and enzymatic activity) and not to bacteria eating up all the sugars.

If the PH is on the low side, I'd DEFINITELY test my mash for conversion ala the iodine test as it might take considerably longer to convert.

Adam

Old 08-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
cluckk
Recipes 

If you are doing a sour mash for flavor instead of to adjust mash pH, you might try what I do. When I want that flavor, I do a mini-mash of about 2 quarts to 1 gallon that I mash, inoculate with raw grain and then let sour for 48 to 72 hours held around 90-110 deg F depending on how sour I want it. I then pour this into the kettle in the last fifteen minutes of the boil to kill the bugs. Funny thing it is usually so delicious that I have to take a couple sips before pouring it in. I know. I'm on the odd side on that part.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
Fuzzymittenbrewing
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1256 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
If you are doing a sour mash for flavor instead of to adjust mash pH, you might try what I do. When I want that flavor, I do a mini-mash of about 2 quarts to 1 gallon that I mash, inoculate with raw grain and then let sour for 48 to 72 hours held around 90-110 deg F depending on how sour I want it. I then pour this into the kettle in the last fifteen minutes of the boil to kill the bugs. Funny thing it is usually so delicious that I have to take a couple sips before pouring it in. I know. I'm on the odd side on that part.
I've heard of this method too and wanted to try it. But wasnt sure id get enough tart out of it. And for the record I don't think the sipping of sour wort is odd, its delicious!!!

Old 08-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
cluckk
Recipes 

When my daughter smelled it she was appalled. When she saw me sip it she almost threw up.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
When my daughter smelled it she was appalled. When she saw me sip it she almost threw up.
The last sour mash I did, I opened the fermentation chamber I was holding the high temperature at and was hit by a wave of it. So, so awful. Luckily the glass of it I'm drinking right now doesn't smell like that.
Secondary/Aging: ECY01 Sour #1, ECY01 Sour #2, The Yeast Bay Melange Sour, Bourbon Barrel Quad
In bottles: Mango sour, Lambic, Brett tripel, Sour brown, Brett L/B Porter
Kegged: Jamil's Sweet Stout with Raspberries, Dry-hopped sour (De Bom), De Bom on tart cherries