First year setup & results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GWSenese

Reaction score
Getting ready to harvest our first year Cascade and Columbus plants on Sunday for a Wet Hopped Blonde Ale and wanted to share the setup we used and the results we had.

We live in Gaithersburg, MD, for those who want to compare planting/harvest dates regionally.

We ordered 4 Rhizomes from More Beer and they were delivered on 3/10. The order included Cascade, Centennial, Columbus and Nugget Rhizomes. They were kept them in the original packages in the fridge until planting on 4/21. This is how they looked on the day of planting:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

For the planting area, the only choice we had was the backyard (southern exposure) that gets good sun in the morning/early afternoon but some shade from trees later in the day. We wanted to hops to grow at the end of our patio so eventually they could be trained to grow over the top, shading both the patio and rear glass door / window.

We dug a trench 12 inches deep and the length of the planting area (# of rhizomes X 18-24 inches). Ended up with an 8 foot trench for 4 rhizomes.

Next we loosened the soil at the bottom of the trench another 12 inches and mixed in compost.

For the trellis, we dug a 4 foot deep hole in the middle of the bed to secure a 16 ft pressure tweeted 4 x 4 post.

05.jpg

At the top of the post we mount two metal rods out each side for the twine to run up to.

06.jpg

The post was secured in the ground with one bag of quikrete and then added a border of pressure treated 2 x 6.

We mixed the soil that was removed at the start with compost and refilled the trench, ending up with a small mound to aid in drainage.

07.jpg

Our frost risk ends on April 16th but since the 10 day out look was warm we went ahead and planted on April 14th. We made sure to keep an eye on the overnight lows over the first few weeks, but it never dropped below 40.

We planted the rhizomes about 4 inches deep with any white shoots pointing upward

08.jpg

Finished up by adding a drip hose.

09.jpg

The Columbus broke ground on 5/16 with the Cascade's not far behind.

10.jpg

The Centennial and Nugget never broke ground. Looking back i think i planted the Rhizomes a little two deep and most likley they rotted.

After breaking ground the Cascades grew quickly.

6/5 - Cascades
11.jpg

6/5 - Columbus
12.jpg

6/12 - Cascades
13.jpg

6/12 - Columbus
14.jpg

6/28 - Cascade on left, columbus on right
15.jpg

7/27 - Columbus made it to the top and started growing over the partio
16.jpg
17.jpg

8/9 - we have hops!
18.jpg

8/17 - more hops!
19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg

In the end, I'm glad only two of the Rhizomes survived as 4 different plants would have been impossible to keep separate. For this year, we are just happy to have any hops the first year and are extremely excited to see what next year brings.

I'll be harvesting tomorrow and pitching wet as the the flame-out addition for a blonde ale. More pictures to come.

Ended up picking about 90 percent of the Columbus last weekend and using all !! wet ounces in a blonde pale ale at flame out. they smelled wonderful.

Columbus on the bine
01_hops on line.jpg

11 oz wet
02_11 oz on scale.jpg

close up
03_close up.jpg

flame out addition
04_hops at flameout.jpg

Next time i use whole leaf hops (this was the first time) i will definitely be putting them in a paint strainer bag. i ended up getting only 3 gal of finished wort with the absorption and clogging on the valve.

picked the rest of the Columbus and Cascades last night. Didn't get much but figured i shouldn't let them go to waste. Can't wait to see how these do in the second year!

Columbus on the vine
04_on bine 2nd harvest.jpg

Cascade on the vine
05_cascade on bine.jpg

Cascade
06_cascade close up.jpg

Columbus picked
07_columbus bowl.jpg

Cascade picked
08_cascade bowl.jpg

Back