Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Old 03-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #61
ohiodad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Finally got around to brewing this one today! Been on my list for a while!! Looking forward to drinking these on the deck as the weather warms! Thanks for sharing BM!

Old 03-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #62
solbergg
Recipes 

Just wanted to add an update that the beer did in fact lighten up quite a bit, both in the fermenter and when put into the glass. I had a house party last weekend, and many people told me it was the best light (colored) beer they had ever tasted. Great recipe, BM!

Old 03-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #63
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I saved this in StrangeBrew... I will be filling my second keg with this brew. $13 to brew this beer... nice! I am looking for my first lager recipe to fill my third keg!

Old 03-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #64
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 710 Times on 401 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbergg
Just wanted to add an update that the beer did in fact lighten up quite a bit, both in the fermenter and when put into the glass. I had a house party last weekend, and many people told me it was the best light (colored) beer they had ever tasted. Great recipe, BM!
Glad they enjoyed it. You'll now be expexted to have it on hand all the time.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #65
Stevorino
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed this puppy today and I'm stoked about how it turns out.

I did two things differently. 7.25 lbs. of base malt (help compensate for my recently horrible efficiency) and used White Labs American Cream Ale Liquid Yeast instead of Nottingham Dry.

I hit the OG perfectly-- It'll be my first kegged beer, I hope it turns out as well as everyone elses!
2. CYBI - Gordon's IPA Clone
3. BCS - Scottish -80
4. BCS - Specialty Saison (Gold Medal at BMO)
In Process:
1. BCS - Janet's Brown Ale (Fermenting)

Old 03-31-2008, 02:36 PM   #66
xumbi
Recipes 

I brewed this yesterday, my second all grain attempt with my new MLT and IC!

My only modification was adding an extra pound of base malt for efficiency. I only had two problems.

The first was after the 60 minute mash my thermometer read 138 degrees! Argh! I pre-heated the MLT with 185 degree water for at least 10 minutes, and I know that at the start of the mash I hit 150 right on. Oh well, I guess my MLT is a bit big for this low grain bill. Next time I'll have to try and compensate. I did "the iodophor test" on a sample of the first runnings, and it did not turn black, so I assume all those starches turned into sugars like they should have.

The second mistake happened right after the first, when I just dumped my infusion water in without taking a temp reading (I was distracted by the low temp reading from the MLT). I know it wasn't 185 like I had hoped, probably closer to 160. Oh well.

Then there was the SG, which is not exactly bad news... 1.051! I don't know how much went into the carboy (still need to add gallon markers), but it's between 4.5 and 5 gallons, so I missed my 5.5 gallon target (I must have boiled off a lot). So between boiling off and getting higher efficiency, I'm going to end up with a slightly stronger brew. Hopefully this won't be a bad thing...

Old 03-31-2008, 04:00 PM   #67
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xumbi
...So between boiling off and getting higher efficiency, I'm going to end up with a slightly stronger brew. Hopefully this won't be a bad thing...
Never a bad thing. Your lower mash temp will give you a bit drier finish as well. That's a good thing for this style. But like you said, you're liable to end up with more of a 5.4% beer. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:43 PM   #68
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

This is the result of my version of your recipe. It is a little young yet getting better each day. Kegging my beers has resulted in so much better clarity.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:03 PM   #69
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
This is the result of my version of your recipe. It is a little young yet getting better each day. Kegging my beers has resulted in so much better clarity.

Now that's an inviting looking beer....

Old 03-31-2008, 07:51 PM   #70
xumbi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
But more importantly, how does it taste?