Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Old 02-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #2681
brevity
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflongo View Post
You "can" do that, but also remember you will have left over hops/yeast/troub from the previous beer. I went ahead and harvested the yeast, into 2 pint jars for the future beers.
Yes, but I figure if the next beer is an IIPA or strong stout (not sure about a stout with US-05) it should overpower any left over hops/trub. Plus it's so much less work than harvesting the yeast

Old 02-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #2682
jflongo
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
Yes, but I figure if the next beer is an IIPA or strong stout (not sure about a stout with US-05) it should overpower any left over hops/trub. Plus it's so much less work than harvesting the yeast
Go ahead and go for it if you want. I don't mind harvesting yeast, it doesn't take too long, and then gives you another 2 - 4 batches of yeast for your next brews.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #2683
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
While mine is fermenting away I can't help but think this is the perfect beer to afterwards rack another, stronger beer right onto the yeast cake. Any suggestions on what to do this with?
Nothing wrong with this. Ive done it a few times for stronger brews, but also similar normal strength brews. Anything will work since this beer is so lightly hopped and light in color.

Don't get me wrong, I harvest most of the time. But when I have two similar brews or a strong on deck, its a hell of a lot easier to pitch onto trub.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #2684
Groner
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Secondary after 4 days

Brewed the 11 gallon recipe. Transferred this to secondary after 4 days in an attempt to get it ready for a party. OG was 1.042 (I always seem to get 75% efficiency thus the higher number.)and the FG when I transferred was 1.012. Tasted my sample for testing and man was it awful. Not quite undrinkable but definitely not good. I wasn't expecting much but since I have never had anything come out of the fermenter this quickly I wanted to see if anyone else had the same result. After sitting in secondary for a couple of days I lifted the airlock and it smells a bit better but haven't tasted it yet.

Anyone else have the same result?
I'm assuming this is just due to the fact that it was only 4 days old when I tasted it and it will clear up, but I am contemplating buying some commercial brew just in case!
Tap 4: RyePA
Tap 5: Dead Ringer IPA
Tap 6: Empty

Old 02-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #2685
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMannion87 View Post
I tried search for this and had no luck, so I apologize if it has been answered elsewhere. Do you think it is possible to brew this with a 13 day turnaround? I'll be using WLP007 with a starter. I was thinking 10 days in the primary and 3 in the keg for carbonating. Do you think it would be possible to dry hop with .50 Cascade and .50 Centennial for 3 days without getting grassy flavors? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I did it grain to glass in 10 days and it was excellent (I used Notty yeast). I didn't dry hop. I think that would be overkill for this beer. It was bit cloudy at first but it cleared after a few days.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #2686
reibrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Awesome recipe.

Curious to know about something. I made edworts pale ale and planned on making 15 gallons based on what I bought. Really happy with it, but I'm thinking something lighter might be better for my caloric intake. Also, I priced this out and if I re-use the s-05 it'll run me about $5 per 2-4 equivalent.

Right now I'm ordering up a bit more 2 row and some centennial. I plan on brewing this weekend, fermenting as usual, and then when I rack to the bottling bucket, I'd like to scoop out all the hop junk on the bottom of the fermenter, and leave a cup or two of yeast cake - then dump on some freshly cooled wort. I want to do this a couple times as I will have the ingredients to make 15 gallons total, stretch the yeast a little bit

My thinking was to siphon off, throw a bit of filtered water onto the yeast cake to carry off some junk, and then scoop out with a sanitized cup.

Would that work?

Old 02-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #2687
austintxeric
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just got finished brewing my first batch of Centennial Blonde! I did a 10 gallon BIAB batch following the exact recipe. I ended up with slightly higher than planned efficiency so ended up at 1.043 OG. Cooled to 68 and went ahead and pitched 1 package of rehydrated Nottingham into each carboy. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #2688
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Just a note - I brought this beer to a homebrew club meeting and served to about 30 people. Everyone really liked it. Said it was complex, light, dry and tasty, exactly what a blonde should be.

After getting feedback I told everyone it was done via BIAB - lots of questions ensued as I was the only BIAB'er in attendance

Old 02-14-2013, 05:52 AM   #2689
dgrums
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groner
Brewed the 11 gallon recipe. Transferred this to secondary after 4 days in an attempt to get it ready for a party. OG was 1.042 (I always seem to get 75% efficiency thus the higher number.)and the FG when I transferred was 1.012. Tasted my sample for testing and man was it awful. Not quite undrinkable but definitely not good. I wasn't expecting much but since I have never had anything come out of the fermenter this quickly I wanted to see if anyone else had the same result. After sitting in secondary for a couple of days I lifted the airlock and it smells a bit better but haven't tasted it yet.

Anyone else have the same result?
I'm assuming this is just due to the fact that it was only 4 days old when I tasted it and it will clear up, but I am contemplating buying some commercial brew just in case!
Can you describe the taste?

Old 02-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #2690
jflongo
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts

Mine personally took about 10 days to finish, ended at 1.008. At 4 days it was still going.