Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall) - Page 251 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #2501
Mojzis
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,269
Liked 152 Times on 107 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidry View Post
Well, I transferred to the keg last night and for the second time in a row, this brew has taken on an off flavor at the end. I can only describe it as a combination of soapy and metallic. Last batch did the same thing, but I was thinking it might have been something left in the keg. This one is tasting like this out of the carboy.

Really beginning to irritate me. The taste is one thing, but not being able to figure out where its coming from is the real irritation.
If you post your process and equipment someone is bound to figure out whats going on.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #2502
Guidry
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Denham Springs, La
Posts: 638
Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts


OK, I've posted my process and equipment in a separate thread as to not hijack this one. Anyone who feels like trying to help, my new distress thread is at:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/cons...5/#post4698398

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:56 AM   #2503
daggers_nz
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Auckland, NZ
Posts: 271
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


bottled this today. Man, this tastes amazing. Carbonated at 2.5 volumes as I wanted a bit of head
__________________
Primary: Bohemian Pilsner (fast lager method)
Conditioning:
Drinking: German Pilsner (fast lager method), California Common,
Oatmeal Stout, English Strong Ale, Robust Porter, Northern Brown

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #2504
NoTrubble
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 138
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Yeah I think the other thing was the Target hops I had on hand. I used those in another recipe here and it has the same powerful hoppy flavor even when I tuned the recipe down a notch. I expect that this beer will turn out well with age too.

Hopefully I can brew this one again soon but I have to pack and move during christmas. (sucks)
__________________
Next Brew Day: Dunno yet
Primary: 100% Wheat
Secondaries: Empty
Kegged: 100% Wheat
Kegged: Shiner Clonish something or other.
91lbs Malted Wheat Remain

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:38 AM   #2505
Brizzo
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Posts: 1,377
Liked 162 Times on 132 Posts


I did this one tonight, 5 gal all grain. This is on the heels of the bee cave brew haus pale ale I did this past week. It wii be nice to have both in kegs soon. I had a couple hic ups but I hit my og/fg and the wort was probably the clearest I have ever seen. It's fermenting away at 65 now in the basement.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:16 AM   #2506
jtkratzer
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
jtkratzer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,811
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts


Wrapped up my brew day in under 6 hours...not really impressive, but I was pleased considering a had a completely stuck mash with my HERMs...that's never happened before and I tried two new things today, one of which was probably idiotic. First, I used a paint strainer bag and wrapped my false bottom to see if it kept more grain and crud in the MLT and the second, which was dump all the grain into the MLT while I was filling it from the bottom rather than wait until all the strike water was pumped in and then mix the grain in. Oh well, I nailed the OG and everything worked out.

Pumped to see how this tastes using MO instead of 2-row.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #2507
crushingblackdoom
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Posts: 177
Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer
Wrapped up my brew day in under 6 hours...not really impressive, but I was pleased considering a had a completely stuck mash with my HERMs...that's never happened before and I tried two new things today, one of which was probably idiotic. First, I used a paint strainer bag and wrapped my false bottom to see if it kept more grain and crud in the MLT and the second, which was dump all the grain into the MLT while I was filling it from the bottom rather than wait until all the strike water was pumped in and then mix the grain in. Oh well, I nailed the OG and everything worked out.

Pumped to see how this tastes using MO instead of 2-row.
Brewed up a 10 gal batch of this today. My 1st 10 gal brew. Did an overnight mash to cut some time off my day. What an amazing success! Hit all my numbers dead on, quick heats,waking up and firing your SPARGE water rather than your mash water is awesome! I'm using S04 + starter on this one with similar hope of it being done & delicious by NYE. Been wanting to brew this one.
Hafta confess though. I upped the base malt a few pounds and asjusted the recipe to suit. And I tossed about an ounce of roasted barley into one of my tuns after vorlauf.
My blonde just got dirty :]

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #2508
he-brews
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 55
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


I wanna say that i made this batch exactly to the recipe about 2 weeks ago and kegged it last night, honestly the first one i made and the only thing i changed was a a pound of rice syrup solid DME and I can say I think i like the last one i made better

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #2509
jtkratzer
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
jtkratzer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,811
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by he-brews
I wanna say that i made this batch exactly to the recipe about 2 weeks ago and kegged it last night, honestly the first one i made and the only thing i changed was a a pound of rice syrup solid DME and I can say I think i like the last one i made better
No need for rice or any other adjuncts with this beer. The recipe as posted is always a crowd pleaser, but I read good results with MO and wanted on try that as I'm into seeing how different grains affect flavors.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #2510
jtkratzer
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
jtkratzer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,811
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by crushingblackdoom

Brewed up a 10 gal batch of this today. My 1st 10 gal brew. Did an overnight mash to cut some time off my day. What an amazing success! Hit all my numbers dead on, quick heats,waking up and firing your SPARGE water rather than your mash water is awesome! I'm using S04 + starter on this one with similar hope of it being done & delicious by NYE. Been wanting to brew this one.
Hafta confess though. I upped the base malt a few pounds and asjusted the recipe to suit. And I tossed about an ounce of roasted barley into one of my tuns after vorlauf.
My blonde just got dirty :]
Having a three vessel HERMS system, my sparge water is ready as soon as I go from mash temp up to sparge temp, usually less than 20 degrees and that goes quickly with a 5500w element.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finalizing my first all-grain-Centennial Blonde Q2XL All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 03-14-2016 03:50 PM
Houston- All Grain/Hops for Centennial Blonde jetlink1983 For Sale 0 12-09-2010 06:48 PM
Brewed First All Grain - Centennial Blonde - High Gravity just curious why Jewrican All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 03-25-2009 02:03 PM
First All Grain - Centennial Blonde Questions BrewinHog All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 12-11-2008 07:17 PM
Any downside to doing 2-3 gall. boils in 8 gall. kettle? Boston Brewer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 10-30-2007 04:18 PM


Forum Jump