Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Old 10-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #2371
Fordzilla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Careful what you wish for!

Old 10-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #2372
jackson09
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My 9.5 gallon batch is about a month old. 5 gallons S-05 and 4.5 gallons notty. It's been kegged for two weeks. Just some tasting notes:

S-05 is a home run it's slightly malty with a light but not thin mouthfeel the hop charter comes through enough to be pleasing for the non-BMC drinker but not scare them off. It's clear but not as clear as the notty. It's hard to drink just one. Quoting my Molson Golden, Blue Moon and Stella drinking Brother in-law "that's pretty damn good". Then he drank three more.

Notty has a thin mouth feel. It's almost a neutral aroma maybe some notes of fruit. Very very clear. The hop charter doesn't come through until the back end. It's certainly drinkable. The brother in law said its ok but asked about the hop aftertaste.

Final verdict: I will brew it again. I'm going S-05 and white labs 01 for the next. Before I change anything I want to hit my numbers a little closer. The recipe is as advertised a easy step up for your BMC drinkers but pleasing to the more advanced. Thanks BM.
BierMuncher Likes This 
Old 10-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #2373
OcularTrauma
Recipes 

I would echo the above statement exactly!

The first time I did this, I used the Notty and it was pretty good, but not super amazing. Very basic, light-ish beer that seemed to have universal appeal. Nice enough that I would do it again.

I did another 5g batch of this for a corn harvest and tamale assembly party at a friends family's ranch this last weekend. This was the first time I ever used US-05 and it came out fabulously. The hop character was more pronounced but still very smooth, the flavors fill the mouth but do not linger and the finish is dry and clean. Defiantly makes you want to go for another one.

There was a cooler full of Victoria, Corona and Bohemia that was getting some attention, but once I got the keg set up his family slammed down about 3 gallons in the next hour. We were pushing foam and on to the tequila before the end of the night They sent me home with a mountain of tamales, so I have absolutely nothing to complain about

My complements to BierMuncher on this one! Its going to be hard to follow up on this one next year!

Old 10-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #2374
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Great beer! It's on my permanent rotation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1777392757.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	80641

Old 10-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #2375
jackson09
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

One follow up I have to my previous post is if your looking for speed the nottingham yeast is the way to go.
3 to 4 days and active fermentation is done. If time is critical.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:19 AM   #2376
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My wife loves this beer. Wait, everyone loves this beer. Used WLP001 on the most recent brew. Still think 1056 is my favorite, but this is lovely, too.
BigPicture Likes This 
Old 10-24-2012, 03:48 AM   #2377
Silverbullet
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just sifted through a few thousand posts and am looking forward to brewing this one. Just ordered everything needed. Well, since there is no Centennial, decided to sub with Chinook and will blend with Cascade. Has anyone stepped this basic recipe up to say, something in the 5+% ABV range and turned this into an IPA? Seems like the potential is there and could be really good. Plan is to brew an 11 gal batch and split it, one per the recipe and one experimental with different yeast (american II maybe?) and perhaps dry hopping with some extra kent goldings I have laying around...

Old 10-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #2378
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Just sifted through a few thousand posts and am looking forward to brewing this one. Just ordered everything needed. Well, since there is no Centennial, decided to sub with Chinook and will blend with Cascade. Has anyone stepped this basic recipe up to say, something in the 5+% ABV range and turned this into an IPA? Seems like the potential is there and could be really good. Plan is to brew an 11 gal batch and split it, one per the recipe and one experimental with different yeast (american II maybe?) and perhaps dry hopping with some extra kent goldings I have laying around...
Not sure about the whole, "turning it into an IPA" thing, but I always get high efficiency and ended up at 5.2%. Could have tipped it off but didn't have any dechlorinated water handy. It's really really good.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:27 PM   #2379
Hefanatic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This has become one of my absolute favorite recipes. I am typically a hop head (despite my handle). I have brewed 15 gallons of this so far and I can't seem to keep it on tap for more than a week or 2. It's the perfect beer at 4 +%.

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”- Frank Sinatra

Old 11-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #2380
Gear101
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Ok I just brewed 11 gallons, with 1oz of Citra and 2oz of Amarillo. All the Citra at the first part of the boil and then offered the Amarillo evenly throughout the rest. I can up with a brix of 9.5, hope this turns out good. I have made it before with Citra only, just wanted to try it with the other hop to see how the taste turns out. Also used Saf 04 and Nottingham yeast in two different fermenters.
Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless