Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall) - Page 181 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #1801
brew2enjoy
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Delaware
Posts: 945
Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts


Just wanted to give a quick report. This beer has been in the keg for a few weeks now and is really coming into its prime. I will admit though that S-04 is not the best yeast for this beer. I fermented in the mid 60s and still get some bready flavors/aroma from the yeast because there isn't enough malt to hide it. Not bad at all though. I had some friends over yesterday that drink bud light exclusively and they kept asking for more. I consider that a success! So my only change would be to use a cleaner yeast for the next batch. I'll probably brew this one again and use US 05.
__________________
DIY stuff...
- Bar
- S/S mash paddle, PEX manifold

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #1802
MMachi
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Posts: 43
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Brewed 5 gallons all grain yesterday and I struggled with mash temp (likely mashed a bit low), but hit my SG on the nose after the 75 minute boil. This is my first batch with Notty and it seems to be a slow start. I have a small krausen and a little airlock activity. I'm looking forward to a crystal clear and bright beer in a few weeks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #1803
chays99
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Heath, Tx
Posts: 71
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I brewed this yesterday too. It was my second all grain attempt. I struggled with my mash temp too. I stayed around 147-149. Everything else was pretty close.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #1804
cperry7467
 
cperry7467's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Louisville, KY
Posts: 101
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Just brewed this last night for my first all grain brew. Went well, anxious to try it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:50 AM   #1805
tre9er
 
tre9er's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,369
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy
Just wanted to give a quick report. This beer has been in the keg for a few weeks now and is really coming into its prime. I will admit though that S-04 is not the best yeast for this beer. I fermented in the mid 60s and still get some bready flavors/aroma from the yeast because there isn't enough malt to hide it. Not bad at all though. I had some friends over yesterday that drink bud light exclusively and they kept asking for more. I consider that a success! So my only change would be to use a cleaner yeast for the next batch. I'll probably brew this one again and use US 05.
I used 05. Tasted hydro sample today. Pretty clean, a little bready, some clean hops, very light.
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:30 AM   #1806
BeachBeerBoobs
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Socal, CA
Posts: 53
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts


Tasted a bit bitter and cidery after a week in the keg. Slight sweetness to it though. Used Nottingham and followed the AG recipe exactly. Will the bitterness and cider flavor mellow out? Hoping I didn't get an infection.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:31 AM   #1807
rossi46
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
rossi46's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Pasco, WA
Posts: 863
Liked 76 Times on 58 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBeerBoobs
Tasted a bit bitter and cidery after a week in the keg. Slight sweetness to it though. Used Nottingham and followed the AG recipe exactly. Will the bitterness and cider flavor mellow out? Hoping I didn't get an infection.
Mine had a little bitterness to it also, it has gotten better with age. It has been in the keg for 3 weeks now. It is also the first time I have used notty, I will try it again with s-05 and see if there is any difference.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #1808
tre9er
 
tre9er's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,369
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts


I have a sour smell, slightly, but I'm still at some krausen and only a week in the fermenter. I've two cases of another brew that will be ready soon enough, so I'm going to try my best to leave this one in the fermenter for 2+weeks.
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #1809
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
triangulum33's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
NorCal
Posts: 675
Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts


I try to leave most of my beers in primary for 3 or 4 weeks. Just because beer is attenuated down doesnt mean there isnt still work to be done in that fermenter.
__________________

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway



Meine Keezer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #1810
tre9er
 
tre9er's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,369
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts


I know, I know...my pipeline isn't too strong right now, though, which makes me damn impatient. I hate buying store beer, too.
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finalizing my first all-grain-Centennial Blonde Q2XL All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 03-14-2016 03:50 PM
Houston- All Grain/Hops for Centennial Blonde jetlink1983 For Sale 0 12-09-2010 06:48 PM
Brewed First All Grain - Centennial Blonde - High Gravity just curious why Jewrican All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 03-25-2009 02:03 PM
First All Grain - Centennial Blonde Questions BrewinHog All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 12-11-2008 07:17 PM
Any downside to doing 2-3 gall. boils in 8 gall. kettle? Boston Brewer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 10-30-2007 04:18 PM


Forum Jump