Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall) - Page 139 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #1381
KozHops
 
KozHops's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Wilmington, Delaware
Posts: 204
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by smokewater View Post
I just bottled this one up yesterday. Fermented 19 days in primary.

Got 58 12 oz out of the batch and hit the gravity numbers dead on. Hydro sample was delicious. Looking forward to this one. I am leaving on a 2 week plus road trip so this will be waiting for me upon my return. Think it will be carbed by July 4? That will be 4 days shy of 3 weeks.
I think you'll be good to go. I don't really think this beer needs the full 3 weeks although I'm sure it gets better with time.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:07 AM   #1382
Dgonza9
 
Dgonza9's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Evanston, Illinois
Posts: 1,182
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post
Mine is not a success so far. Probably just needs more time in the keg. Only kegged it a week ago, but it seems to be developing an astringent quality, more so than when it was in the fermenter. Don't know what could be wrong. Hit all temps and gravity readings dead on. Fermented for two weeks at 68 degrees. Then I filtered and kegged.

This happened the last time I made this as well, only that time my sparge water got the mash way too hot, up to 180. That time beer was astringent going into the fermenter and never changed. I wound up dumping half of it.

Hopefully this will mellow out. I just dry hopped half with more centennial.
Just an update, a few more days in the keg and this is already mellowing and smoothing nicely. Not sure why it seemed so astringent upon first filtering and transferring to kegs, but now it's tasting nice and only getting better.

I'm too impatient with all these stories of 3 weeks grain to glass. I think 5 weeks is usually a better plan. Must learn patience! Not sure why this is an issue. I have four other beers on tap. LOL.
__________________
On Tap: Belgian Barrel Aged Barleywine, Da Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Breakfast Stout, Hop Your Face Off IIPA, Catcher in the Rye Saison, "Wino-head" Nelsin Sauvin Gumballhead.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #1383
elproducto
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Ontario
Posts: 1,116
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post
Just an update, a few more days in the keg and this is already mellowing and smoothing nicely. Not sure why it seemed so astringent upon first filtering and transferring to kegs, but now it's tasting nice and only getting better.

I'm too impatient with all these stories of 3 weeks grain to glass. I think 5 weeks is usually a better plan. Must learn patience! Not sure why this is an issue. I have four other beers on tap. LOL.
I agree.. I thought that once I started kegging I'd be drinking beer that much quicker. Sure it's carbonated, but it NEVER tastes like it should. I'm always disappointed when I drink it green, but once it's had 2 weeks in the keg, it's like a different beer.
__________________
Fall Line Brewing Company

Keg 1 - German Pils
Keg 2 - Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 3 - Chocolate Porter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #1384
Kaewan
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 13

Just brewed two batches of this with about week in between. The first one has been in bottles for a little over a week now. When I racked the first to secondary it had a very sulphury smell but now after a week conditioning it has lost that smell (tried one just recently) and tastes good. The second batch didn't seem to have that sulphury smell. I'm going to bottle the second batch in a few days so I should be able to get a sneak peek at that one. This is the first time I've ever used Nottingham so I'm not sure what caused the sulphur.. they both fermented kinda high (72/73) though. I've mostly used Safale 05 in the past.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #1385
mrduna01
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Louisville, KY, KY
Posts: 870
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaewan
Just brewed two batches of this with about week in between. The first one has been in bottles for a little over a week now. When I racked the first to secondary it had a very sulphury smell but now after a week conditioning it has lost that smell (tried one just recently) and tastes good. The second batch didn't seem to have that sulphury smell. I'm going to bottle the second batch in a few days so I should be able to get a sneak peek at that one. This is the first time I've ever used Nottingham so I'm not sure what caused the sulphur.. they both fermented kinda high (72/73) though. I've mostly used Safale 05 in the past.
I usually get the sulphur smell with Nottingham. It's normal and fades quickly. You really want to ferment under 70 though.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #1386
Reno_eNVy
 
Reno_eNVy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Posts: 6,278
Liked 229 Times on 195 Posts


Huh, I've never had sulfur from Notty before. But was your ambient temperature 72/73 or was that the temp of your wort? If that's ambient temp then during the height of fermentation you're probably at something like 80*F. That will cause some off flavors.
__________________
Primary: air and sadness =(

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)


LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #1387
Kaewan
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy_446 View Post
Huh, I've never had sulfur from Notty before. But was your ambient temperature 72/73 or was that the temp of your wort? If that's ambient temp then during the height of fermentation you're probably at something like 80*F. That will cause some off flavors.
Ambient. Fermentation temp was probably much higher as you say, unfortunately.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #1388
Reno_eNVy
 
Reno_eNVy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Posts: 6,278
Liked 229 Times on 195 Posts


Well at least it's vanished. I've had sulfur action from a different yeast that never went away.
__________________
Primary: air and sadness =(

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)


LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #1389
Grasslands
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Tallanasty, FL
Posts: 330
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


I'm brewing this up for my brewclub's Summer Club Brew (for our eventual Summer Club Party) and adding in a little meyer's lemon zest from 2-3 lemons. Stoked!
__________________
GrassLands craft brewery-in-planning has a website!! All kinds of Awesome! Check it, son!

GrassLands Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:11 AM   #1390
cmw6300
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Roxborough, CO
Posts: 83


Just got done brewing my first batch of this as my third brew ever. Everything went well until I pitched my yeast. I received my ingredients today from AHS and when I opened the box my Wyeast was already swollen so I immediately decided to brew today rather than on Friday. When I pitched my yeast I was expecting to see the inner bag popped but it wasn't. I went ahead and popped the inner bag and dumped what was in the inner bag into my cooled wort. I hope I didn't screw anything up by doing this but I guess I will see in the morning. Right now she is sitting comfortably at 65 in a 67 degree closet.
__________________
Drinking: Wee Heavy
Primary 1: Brown Bear Porter
Primary 2:
Secondary:
Aging: Snowcloud Chocolate Millk Stout

Next up: Kicking Horse Helles

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finalizing my first all-grain-Centennial Blonde Q2XL All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 03-14-2016 03:50 PM
Houston- All Grain/Hops for Centennial Blonde jetlink1983 For Sale 0 12-09-2010 06:48 PM
Brewed First All Grain - Centennial Blonde - High Gravity just curious why Jewrican All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 03-25-2009 02:03 PM
First All Grain - Centennial Blonde Questions BrewinHog All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 12-11-2008 07:17 PM
Any downside to doing 2-3 gall. boils in 8 gall. kettle? Boston Brewer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 10-30-2007 04:18 PM


Forum Jump