Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worst case scenario is that it's fusel alcohol. You'll know it for a fact if drinking a significant amout gives you a headache in short order. Those flavors will generally not fade with time, unfortunately.

Most likely culprit is fermenting too warm. What beer/yeast was it and how warm was your ambient temp?

Another possibility is you didn't pitch enough healthy yeast, and it produced the fusels out of stress.

Final possibility is that the beer is simply young/green, and the other flavors haven't come forward or blended with the alcohol flavors. That's not fusel, and if it's the case it WILL improve with time.

Kind of depends on your circumstances. You'd have to post more details for anyone to narrow it down.

Great response thank you.

Pitched with Wyeast 1056 (no starter). I've learned since then that with liquid yeast to make a starter. Ambient temp was 68-69 F but I don't have anything to control fermentation yet - it's at the top of my list.

I've got a second batch that was just bottled 4 days ago. I'm hoping that it's just a result of my first ever brew day.

Great response thank you.

Pitched with Wyeast 1056 (no starter). I've learned since then that with liquid yeast to make a starter. Ambient temp was 68-69 F but I don't have anything to control fermentation yet - it's at the top of my list.

I've got a second batch that was just bottled 4 days ago. I'm hoping that it's just a result of my first ever brew day.

So if ambient was at 68-69, the inside of your fermenter was probably at 72-74, which is just past the top range for 1056. So sounds like it was a combo of underpitching and overly warm fermentation.

Until you can control temps, you might try some styles/yeasts that like it a bit warmer. Most of them are belgians, so maybe try a farmhouse saison?

I also did a 5 gallon BIAB Sunday of this.
I did a full volume mash and boil. No sparge. Hit numbers almost perfect at 75%.

I am about to do this recipe as my first AG BIAB (full volume mash) brew. Any tips from having done this via BIAB before would be appreciated. It seems like a pretty straight forward method and recipe but I figured I would ask somebody who has done the exact same thing I am about to do. Thanks.

I am about to do this recipe as my first AG BIAB (full volume mash) brew. Any tips from having done this via BIAB before would be appreciated. It seems like a pretty straight forward method and recipe but I figured I would ask somebody who has done the exact same thing I am about to do. Thanks.

I have done it recently.

What size kettle do you have?

This recipe + basic adjustments for a BIAB system = win.

If you have questions about a particular part, I am certain someone will be able to help BUT this is a very forgiving recipe.

I brewed this on my system on 11-29-15 and kegged it on 12-25-15. I posted a picture of the result in this post.

Usually when I share a beer, there are those who like it and others who don't find it to their taste. Everyone who has tasted this recipe says almost the same five words - "wow, that is good beer!"

Have fun - this is an easy and well received recipe.

Only thing with BIAB, have your shop double crush your grains. I didn't get good efficiency the first time with single crush. After I had them double crush, made a big difference. Beyond that, you have plenty a big enough pot to do this one.

Pull the bag out after the 60m mash. Let it drain over your pot. I do a dunk sparge in a separate bucket, with 170* water, for about 15mins, and use that to top up my wort for the boil. But I only have a 7.5g kettle.

If you don't want to do that, look up doing a mashout. Basically raising your temps to 170* for the last ten mins via heat.

Beyond that nothing too tough. Cool your wort down to mid 60s if you can, rehydrate your yeast. Ferment in the mid 60s if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than Nottingham what yeasts would work well for this beer?

I've actually never made this brew but have made many a blonde ale. If using dry I'd go US-05 or BRY-97. One of the new Mangrove Jack or other yeast company options might work, but I don't know. Obviously with liquid wlp001 is a great option. For a clean blonde ale as the recipe shoots for either Notty, a clean american ale yeast as mentioned above, or a heavily pitched English/Irish/Scottish yeast are your only real options. Northwest Ale yeast wlp 039 iirc would be nice also but it is a little estery. The Sam Adams ale yeast would also probably produce a 'clean enough' version of this beer. Lots of options but only Notty or clean Am Ale yeast are gonna provide the character of what this brew is meant to be.

Im thinking wlp001. Ive had good experiences with white labs although if they have us-05 at my lhbs I might go with that since people here seem to think its a great option for this brew.

Currently mashing this. I hit 154 but stirred until it went down to 152. I was hoping for 150. Will this affect the finished product much with this beer style?

Im thinking wlp001. Ive had good experiences with white labs although if they have us-05 at my lhbs I might go with that since people here seem to think its a great option for this brew.

Well, since they are literally the same yeast strain, you can't go wrong either way. The strain is called "Chico", and marketed as US-05, WLP001, WL1056, and *many* other trademarks and brand names.

Well, since they are literally the same yeast strain, you can't go wrong either way. The strain is called "Chico", and marketed as US-05, WLP001, WL1056, and *many* other trademarks and brand names.
Beautiful. It's in the bucket so hopefully we get some activity soon.

I used 1056 with awesome results. And by the way they aren't the same strain as mentioned. They are similar, but they are different strains.

I ended up using wlp001. Its in the low 60s right now but it should heat up today and I will be able to get my garage fridge to mid to high 60s. We will see.

I ended up using wlp001. Its in the low 60s right now but it should heat up today and I will be able to get my garage fridge to mid to high 60s. We will see.

Should turn out great. I fermented at a steady 65 the entire time for 16 days then did a 5 day cold crash after. Was super clear and delicious!

Just kegged this today with my messed up recipe.

I mistakenly subbed Light Munich for the Vienna.
I intentionally subbed 1lb of 2 row for Vienna (which ended up Munich)

After realizing I was off, i threw in the extra 0.5oz, of both Cascade and Centennial as a hopstand after flameout.

Just tasted and it will be very good I think. Still flat of course.

Greetings from Finland.

I just made mini mash and partial boiled at 3.2 gallons for 70 min.

5.00 lb light DME
0.75 lb Cara-Pils (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)

Extended the hop schedule coz heard partial boil will reduce utilization:

0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (70 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (40 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min)

Also using safale us-05 yeast because cant find the yeast you use, here in Finland.

My second brew ever. Its fermenting away atm. Gonna tell how it goes for ppl in similar situation with small equipment. Hope its gonna be good ;) :mug:

This beer is fine. I may brew again if I need some for non craft drinkers. Honestly doesn't do much for me, personally. It's better than a BMC, for sure.

Have 10 gallons in my fermentation chamber now. 5 gallons straight up from recipe. The other 5 gallons dry hopped with 1/2 oz. cascade and 1/2 oz. citra. Looking forward to try these.

Brewed this (extract version) and bottled half of the batch last night, put some raspberries in primary to the other half. The bottling sample was great, super clear, can't wait for it to carb - a nice clean blonde!

I've brewed this again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This will be my 10th batch of this recipe. I've switched it up, different hops, different yeast, dry hopped, different grain. Strawberries, raspberries, bananas, jalapenos.

Now I've also experimented with the different yeasts "all the same strain" and they ARE different.

Everything. It's all good. My favorite swap has been the Wyeast 1056, American Ale. But I also love English Bitters. YMMV.

This time, I've tried something completely different. Wyeast 1098, A British Ale Yeast. I'll let it ferment for the 30-day adjustment. 2 weeks is not enough for a liquid yeast. Primary ONLY. I don't secondary anymore.

This beer has served as my introduction into homebrewing & all-grain. I did 2 batches of extract before I took this plunge. Trying this & that has made me a better brewer & increased my experience. The recipe is very nice & very forgiving.

Trust me........................... I've brewed some doosies!

I'm very anxious to try this switch.

Thanks Biermuncher!!!!!

I've brewed this again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This will be my 10th batch of this recipe. I've switched it up, different hops, different yeast, dry hopped, different grain. Strawberries, raspberries, bananas, jalapenos.

Now I've also experimented with the different yeasts "all the same strain" and they ARE different.

Everything. It's all good. My favorite swap has been the Wyeast 1056, American Ale. But I also love English Bitters. YMMV.

This time, I've tried something completely different. Wyeast 1098, A British Ale Yeast. I'll let it ferment for the 30-day adjustment. 2 weeks is not enough for a liquid yeast. Primary ONLY. I don't secondary anymore.

This beer has served as my introduction into homebrewing & all-grain. I did 2 batches of extract before I took this plunge. Trying this & that has made me a better brewer & increased my experience. The recipe is very nice & very forgiving.

Trust me........................... I've brewed some doosies!

I'm very anxious to try this switch.

Thanks Biermuncher!!!!!

Will be interested to see how you like 1098. I use it for an IPA and I luv it, works really well. I bet you'll only need to leave it be in the primary for 3 weeks though ( ;

Just wrapped up another brew day with this recipe. 6gal into the fermenter with a 1.040 O.G. This brew day was a first for me, I've been studying up on water chemistry and will be adjusting my water from now on. Looking forward to tasting the results! :mug:

Name checks out. He's from Finland, the black metal capital of the world.

Haha you got that right. :rockin:

I kept this beer for 12 days in primary and its been carbin 1.5week in the bottle now. Just tasted, and its fresh to death, not too hoppy, perfect summer beer. Gave it to my friends at the party yesterday and they loved it. :mug:

100% gonna add this to my rotation. Thanks for the recipe.

Just brewed up another batch of this awsomeness! I hit just under 7.0 gal @ 1.068 O.G. IBU's were targeted to 66.6 LOL!

I've just started monkeying around with water chemistry and this will be my first dark beer with water adjustments, really looking forward to the end results :mug:

Just brewed up another batch of this awsomeness! I hit just under 7.0 gal @ 1.068 O.G. IBU's were targeted to 66.6 LOL!

I've just started monkeying around with water chemistry and this will be my first dark beer with water adjustments, really looking forward to the end results :mug:

You must have really monkeyed with something to make this a dark beer! :)

You must have really monkeyed with something to make this a dark beer! :)

Tru dat...
LOL, must have been a little confused when I made this post. Should have been in the Darth Vader Black IPA recipe... my mistake ;)

I actually brewed up this Centennial Blonde recipe a few days before, 2/13/16, and I netted 6gal at 1.040 O.G. It was the very first batch that I adjusted water on that weekend and am especially excited to see/taste the results. Lighter beers have always turned out OK, but never as good as the darker recipes I brew.

Latest posts

Back